Let's talk tools! What do you have? What couldn't you live without?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I'm starting to build my tool collection... I have the basic wrenches, sockets, etc. I recently replaced my old floor jack with an aluminum low profile model and picked up a more modern creeper. Getting new tools is a unique joy. The feeling of expanding the capabilities of what you can do in your own garage is great. I will continue to build my collection, mostly so I don't have to borrow from my father so often! :D

So what's your garage like? What are the essential tools in your arsenal? What are you getting next?

-Mike

I think the main thing is orginizing the tools you have. Buy a good tool box that allows you to find everything. I use to just pile all my wrenches on top of them selves because I didn't have enough room. Over the year my tool box got bigger and more organized. I know money for me was a key factor.

It took me quit a long time to get this far, start small and work your way up.
I could still use more room, again!!

Attachments

• toolbs.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 385
  • toold1s.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 369
I confess to being a tool addict.. Do they have a 12 step program for that ??

Maybe your wives / girlfriends don't share my opinion, but I believe tools are NEVER ever a bad investment. If you needed it once, chances are good you'll need it again in the future. One of my personal favorites I couldn't live without is my Dremel.

Keith hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that organization is key to a good tool box. If you can't find it, you can't use it. Though Billy has a couple large roller boxes for his mechanic's tools, I prefer the quick access of pegboard mounted to the end of my work bench. I keep my trim restoration tools (mostly homemade) in a separate box in one of the cubby holes but most of what I use all the time hangs right there next to me within easy reach. It's a lot fuller now than when this pic was taken, but you get the idea.

View attachment 035 - Copy.jpg

i like long beam wrenches over the standard length. more leverage. stubbys are good to have when you need them, mostly rare, but when ya need em, ull be glad ya have em. i use the hell out of my reversible ratcheting wrenches...those wrenches same some time!!! allen head sockets are good too.

Flex head ratchets......still have the one I got in High School....and a bfh....

If you have air, air ratchets save a ton of time. Handy in places where you can only move a small amount. Pullers are priceless. Steering wheel, ball joint, tie rods are all much easier to work on with the correct puller. And one thing that I think is key, is "quality" screwdrivers.

a GOOD set of jack stands. I know alot of us have to crawl under the car to work. I cant stress it enough, get a good set. I had a jack stand let go on me once and it nearly killed me. I have a nice set of 2 ton stands now. I also have a set of jack attachments. one that has a nice rubber face on it so i can jack up the car and not scar the paint on the k-member or rear diff.

The boxes are from matco, the smaller one is about 6yrs old the others with the cart are 4. here is some of our art work.

a GOOD set of jack stands. I had a jack stand let go on me once and it nearly killed me.
As a former boss used to say..."Safety first.......safety last......safety always"....Had my Datsun truck fall off of a cheap jackstand once. Landed on my foot. Was along 10 minutes until my Dad came outside. Scary thing to have a vehicle fall on you.

Maybe your wives / girlfriends don't share my opinion, but I believe tools are NEVER ever a bad investment. If you needed it once, chances are good you'll need it again in the future. One of my personal favorites I couldn't live without is my Dremel.

Keith hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that organization is key to a good tool box. If you can't find it, you can't use it. Though Billy has a couple large roller boxes for his mechanic's tools, I prefer the quick access of pegboard mounted to the end of my work bench. I keep my trim restoration tools (mostly homemade) in a separate box in one of the cubby holes but most of what I use all the time hangs right there next to me within easy reach. It's a lot fuller now than when this pic was taken, but you get the idea.

View attachment 1714583398

A dremel and homemade trim restoration tools. Yea you know wher my mindwandered off to.:eek:ops:

I don't know what I would do without my welder. But like everybody is saying organization is key. I personally don't use air tools much probably because I don't have a good compressor. But that is the next big thing on the list.

Dewalt 1/2 cordless impact wrench with 3/8 adapter.

This will never do the big stuff like an air impact. BUT it is great for those jobs that twist your arm off with a regular ratchet (putting lug nuts on weld wheels for example), and with a delicate trigger finger this can be used in place of a ratchet for just about anything where there's room. Everything should still be torqued properly but this saves a tone of time with tasks like intake bolts, head bolts, etc.

Its also awesome to have at the track for changing tires and that kind of thing.

DC830KA_1.jpg

Tool organization is a must. You can waste an amazing amount of time looking for a wrench, then multiply it by every time you need a different size.

Sockets that have colored size info on the side are great too. As I get older the engraved sockets are very hard to read in garage light.

Good ratchets and ratchet wrenches. The old style craftsman stuff where you have to turn it 90* to click the ratchet is next to useless.

Drip pans. Have at least one that you only use for coolant/water (not grimy oily stuff). Being able to recycle your coolant will save you the cost of the pan every time you do it, and trying to clean out an oily drip pan to accomplish the same thing is never fun.

X 10 on the orginazation.
When you finish a job, clean and put your tools away
before, you pull the car out of the bay.
You will know at a glance if something is missing.
Don't take long to figure it out when you leave a
a couple $50.00 tools in/on a car and realize it later
after they have driven away.

I pickup tools up all the time along the road, last 2 things
was a new 30' tape measure and a engine diagnosic tool.
I have a new hole saw set 6" to 1" thanks to someones carelessness.

My most useful tools are Gearwrench sets, pliers of every kind and my DeWalts, love em.

a GOOD set of jack stands. I know alot of us have to crawl under the car to work. I cant stress it enough, get a good set. I had a jack stand let go on me once and it nearly killed me. I have a nice set of 2 ton stands now. I also have a set of jack attachments. one that has a nice rubber face on it so i can jack up the car and not scar the paint on the k-member or rear diff.

I agree!

also, remember, jack stand ratings are for the PAIR, not for each stand...so on a 2 ton jack stand rating, dont assume a single jack stand can support 2 tons...i never knew that for the longest time. LOL

totally agree on the cordless impact. i went out and bought myself a welder yesterday.
I am vary happy with my score, i got a MILLER MATIC 140 AUTO SET.

-
Back