lever position

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
On a 904 tranny what are the positions of the gear shift lever on the valve body? I need to make sure its not in gear while i am trying to get running. I dont have the drive shaft hooked up but still.

You might think about starting it in Nuetral.The trans pump works there and you'll keep the trans lubed, just a thought.

When the lever on the trans. is all the way back it's in park. All the way forward is low. Starting in neutral like Robbie mentioned is a good idea but if you have no driveshaft on the car I wouldn't suggest it as sometimes there's enough friction there to spin the driveshaft anyway. Do you have a yoke to stick in the back of the trans? If not it might leak some trans. fluid out.

oops i have been trying to start it with the lever all the way forward. Do i need to have the transmission cooler lines hooked up too? I dont have the tranny full yet with fluid obviously since the motor has not been running yet. Could that hurt it?

.........Yes u need everything hooked up as u will have a mess once u start it unless there is no atf in the trans, which then is no good 4 the trans........kim..

Yeah like fishy68 said......I have actually never seen one that did not spin the output shaft when it was runnin in neutral. In fact, all of um I've ever seen runnin in neutral with the rear wheels off the ground and the drive shaft in had enough friction to turn the rear tires. And yeah, you need everything hooked up or you'll one mell of a hess on your hands.

-
Back