lifter issue?

-

swedefish

Reaction score
It´s been two days since I ran the engine.
Should I be able to press the hydralic lifters after these two days?
Was trying to depress them with the pushrod but they are rock solid.
I´m going to buy the tool that´s used to remove the lifters, to have a look at them.

Is there any way to measure the cam lobes while the cam is in the engine?

Grateful for any help.

The lifter pistons should be "rock solid" for a long time. I can start my engine after sitting for 3 months and no tapping sounds which means that all the lifters are still pumped up. I'm not aware of anyway to measure the actual cam lobe without removing it from the engine. You can measure the effective lift by putting a dial indicator on the lifter. Putting it at the rocker arm takes into account the rocker arm ratio which maybe not be, exactly, the advertized ratio, eg. 1.5.

Terry

Thanks Terry. :thumbup:
I did measure the cam lobe the way you describe it, and the result was a difference of .003" between the two lobes that varied the most.
Should I feel safe with that?

If there's only .003" difference between lobes either they're all fine or they're all wiped. I'd say you're good to go.

Why are you checking? Is there another problem? Maybe I missed something on another thread?

I would not think .003" difference on a flat tappet cam would be a problem.

If there's only .003" difference between lobes either they're all fine or they're all wiped. I'd say you're good to go.

Why are you checking? Is there another problem? Maybe I missed something on another thread?

Thanks guys

I had her on my drive way meaning to go for a spin, when I heard a noice from the passenger side of the engine. And since I haven´t been all that convinced that the cam has been properly breaked in....well I was assuming the worst.
Tought that I´d better check the cam before I go for that spin.

Hrrmm, I´m embarrassed.
I found out that the bolts for the crank pulley had came lose.
Haven´t run the engine yet to see if that was the issue that made the noise,
but I ´m hoping so.

LOL hey that stuff happens, I always assume the worst when I run out of gas (my gauge doesn't work) at least we can admit this stuff

-
Back