Lifter lubrication orifice?

-

dusterdood

The Duster Guy
Reaction score
In the latest issue of Drag Racing News, there's a short article about the loss of zinc, and phosphorus in oils. The author said to get lifters with a .012" diameter lubrication orifice in the center of the lifter foot. Are these available for Mopars? This guy was building an Olds. I'd like to know if anyone has info about this.
Mike

Don't have any info on the lifter with the hole, but this topic of the oil came up with the classic Mini crowd quite a while ago. Cam failures were the issue on new cam installs more often than not. Rapid wear etc. A few articles out on the net kicking around. Seems that oils that have "Energy Conserving" on the bottle are a dead give away for these deleted properties, but then new mandate is for all standard oils to be that way.

Minis typically use 20/50 oil as the engine oil pan is also the gearbox as well. Valvoline racing oil still has the additives as does diesel truck oils like Rotella (did I spell that right?). I think Castrol is putting out a small bottle that you can add to your oil to bring it back up to snuff. Redline is supposed to be supporting the issue as well amoung others.

Going off memory on the subject (there is a scary thought!!), but that seems to be the gist. Seems like it is most detrimental on bedding in new engine/cam combinations. I still believe though that a "seasoned" engine could not help feel an impact from this wear wise.

Here is a link to Hot Rod Magazines site where they have an article on flat tappet issues and the new oil.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index.html

Not sure how to put a link in so hope that is clickable. If not, copy and paste. Article is still there.

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers

-
Back