Lifter noise

-

mod5v

Reaction score
I just got my new 360 running and after 100 miles when I staret it after sitting for more than a couple of hours I have a loud lifter tick. After 15-30 seconds the sound goes away but I need to fix this. Has anyone had trouble with the Lunati lifters in the Voo-do kits I have the 60400 or 250dur cam and lifters with stock 340 springs.

I have comp cams lifters in mine, does the same thing. And I have one that starts ticking after it gets warm. I need to change mine out also.

I've had problems with Comp lifters doing that but never a Lunati. You may have a piece of trash in the lifter allowing it to bleed down. You need to find out which lifter it is and pull it out (you can do that by removing the rocker arm assy and pushrod and using a telescoping heavy duty magnet pick up tool to reach down in and pull it out. Just be super careful not to drop it down inside the engine). Take the lifter apart and see if it has trash in it. If so clean it and re-install it. If not it's probably a junk lifter.

I just got my new 360 running and after 100 miles when I staret it after sitting for more than a couple of hours I have a loud lifter tick. After 15-30 seconds the sound goes away but I need to fix this. Has anyone had trouble with the Lunati lifters in the Voo-do kits I have the 40600 or 250dur cam and lifters with stock 340 springs.

I can't find that part number or duration in any form. Please be more specific. BTW, you shouldn't be running any aftermarket cam with stock springs and this may or may not be part of your problem. I'm also guessing that you didn't check spring installed height, coil bind at max lift or lifter pre-load, etc.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's really hard to diagnose these kinds of problems over the internet. A quality oil filter with a anti-drainback valve can help but if it it takes 15-30 seconds to gt oil pressure, that may well be your problem too.

My voodoo cam has a tick when i first start it too,and my previous one had a tick also haven't noticed any problems performance wise,so i'm living with it..

This is scary as I have narrowed my cam choices down.
The leading contender at this point is the Lunati #638-60401LK.
454 X 475 lift @ 256 X 262 duration. I was going with matching
Lunati lifters, pushrods, springs retainers & keepers on stock 273
adjustable rocker assy. I would prefer to find a solid setup with
these #'s but they are either too big or too small. Anyone run this
setup? (not to hijack the thread8))
Rat

The cam is the smallest voodo cam dur@50 203in 213ex lift is .454" smaller than a stock 340 cam. The springs will be fine for my intended usage it will never see 5k rpm's.
Desertrat-- if u want a solid have someone like engle or bullit make u one just remember that the motor will see a solid cam to be smaller than a hyd of the same duration #'s.

By the way I will find the "ticking" lifter and pull it and clean it to see if that helps.I have a new wix filter to put on it so I will do that first but seams to me that lifter should not bleed down so quik. if the filter is defective it could retard the oil pressure but a filter won't make the motor hold pressure when its not running.
really just asking if others have had the lunati lifter tic and I got my answer==yes.

Mod5 and Desertrat.

I'm running the exact same cam (60401) and I get a tick for about 10 seconds if the trucks been sitting for more than about 3 days. It runs great and I have zero worries about it. :)

Ramcharger: do you take your engine to the
5500 rpm range. In your opinion is it a good
choice for my 273 build? :sign7:

It'll take my 360 to about 5200 rpm. I would think that it would be good for 5700 rpm plus in a 273. :)

Well the "bad" lifter is the #1 intake but there is no way it will come outwithout pulling the intake. I tried every hole on that head and the lifter just won't fit. @#$@@ so I guess when I get the time and new gaskets I'll just get a new lifter for that hole as I don't want to do it twice.

and the next engine you build, take the time with a die grinder and remove all casting flash. That is most likely why you can't get the lifter out. It helps with oil drain back too!

Desert Rat, call Clay Smith Cams and tell them what you have and he'll tell you what you need! Ask for George! 714-523-0530
These guys are the best! They will grind a cam just for you!

http://claysmithcams.com/

Well got a little more creative and pulled the lifter out the distributor hole. Had to polish the "piston" to get it to move in the lifter bore. Guess what found 2 more lifters in need of the same treatment. So finally I have a lifter noise free engine. Now if I can get the timing curve and carb tuned well I'll have a quiet smooth running engine. Sofar I have noticed a deffinite power increase over the 318 that I replaced.

When I was refering to the "piston" I ment the internal piston in the lifter.

-
Back