lifter preload Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
read something way way way back about setting up to where the lifter cup is almost bottomed out all the way down (I forget the amt up from that) which would take a longer pushrod to keep the geometry correct I would assume. Would this work better than having the cup up & a certain amt of thousands preload like is commonly talked about? Thank you for your time. RR

read something way way way back about setting up to where the lifter cup is almost bottomed out all the way down (I forget the amt up from that) which would take a longer pushrod to keep the geometry correct I would assume. Would this work better than having the cup up & a certain amt of thousands preload like is commonly talked about? Thank you for your time. RR
I said that a while back but I'm sure other people said it too it's probably been said a hundred times but it all depends on the lifter and the idea was to let more spring pressure control it and keep it from pumping up solid

Last edited:
With many generic(non-race)HF lifters........... if you preload them too far, the internal oil feed hole gets blocked off and then there is no longer any Hyd function.

Contact the manufacturer of the lifters you intend to use or call and find out if they have any lifters that you can do that with run them about .060 from bottoming out

-
Back