lifter preload

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
How do you set the preload on hydraulic lifters? I got some new roller rockers and I don't know how to set this up! Also, will the factory shaft really fail with these roller rockers? I was told by the mfg that they recommend induction hardened shafts, but by some one else whom I trust that the factory ones never seem to wear out under normal street performance applications as long as they are getting oil and I don't plan to rev too high. My cam is only a 504 lift, so the spring pressure should not be too bad, induction hardened shafts cost a bit, know what I mean? Any wisdom would be appreciated as always!! Thanks.........

Make sure your lifter is on the back side of the lobe on your cam and tighten your rocker arm adjustment screw while spinning the pushrod in your fingers. Once you`ve reached the point where you can`t twist the pushrod with your fingers go about 1/2 turn more and hold the nut while tightening the set screw. That should give you ample preload with hydraulic lifters. As far as the shafts I would be more concerned with putting new rockers on old shafts than anything else.

so I shouldn't run these on old shafts? I was gonna put em on the ones that are in there now. I guess I better look into it more.

so I shouldn't run these on old shafts? I was gonna put em on the ones that are in there now. I guess I better look into it more.

Generally your old shafts will have worn enough that the clearances with the new rockers will be too much and they`ll wear out prematurely.

my buddy told me I could get some chrome shafts from PAW pretty cheap. I will have to get their new catalog. I fired up the cuda yesterday, it had been sitting since may and the gas in the lines had evaporated so it took a while to get her going but that lope never sounded so good once she fired. I just have an rv cam in there right now, but it still has a little tumble to the rumble. It backfired thru the carb a couple times before she took a bite but like I said, once she got some feul she lit right up. I'm glad I got the carter on there right now, I don't have pv protection on the holley yet. I just can't describe the satisfaction that washes over me when I hear that sound, I think you guys probably know what I mean. Have a good evening, folks.

-
Back