Lifter tick (I think)?

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
Any idea on ways to calm down lifters ticking?

Seem to come and go, only really when engine is on light load and oil pressure is up.

At idle is quietens down, if you stamp on the throttle and have a bit of fun when you go back to cruising it can be very loud (peas in a can type loud)

Then all of a sudden it will just vanish immediately and completely at that volume.

Mild 1970 318 with headers and intake. with stock valve train. And 4 speed.

Picture shows oil pressure at idle, and oil at operating temp 80-90⁰c (185⁰f)

And cruise it's up around the 35-40 psi (which I think is pretty much on the money no?)

Oil is 20w50 weight

Edit*

I will mention it's running a little rich at the moment and the oil is smelling a bit of fuel so wondering if the gas has diluted the oil a bit? And the oil dosnt have it's usual properties to aid smooth running? A fresh oil and filter change is on the cards today. But thought I'd arm myself with somethings to look for/try in the meantime

Eventually over winter it will have new lifter as want to change the heads anyway. But that's another step for another day

IMG_20230528_163056.jpg

Last edited:
Whats the oil pressure after you Get On it?
Predetanation or dieseling?

I would try some seafood or something... Probably just a hydraulic lifter on its way out.
If you're gonna change the heads I would just put a new cam and lifters in it when that time came...

I would try some seafood or something... Probably just a hydraulic lifter on its way out.
If you're gonna change the heads I would just put a new cam and lifters in it when that time came...
That's the plan but I was hoping for next year, so for the time being would be nice to quiet then down. Will get valve covers off later too and see if everything is stil tight under there.
Whats the oil pressure after you Get On it?
Predetanation or dieseling?
Oil pressure is exact as picture says regardless of how it's driven.

Don't think predet, initial is at 13 total 33 ish @2800?

I originally had timing at 18 as it seemed happy there but it pinked a bit, but now I'm wondering if the noise I heard was actually the lifter ticking instead.

Drove it around today after topping off the oil (was a tad low) seemed a little healthier.

Are you using cast iron exhaust manifolds??? If so, make sure that they are tightened down correctly. A poorly torqued manifold can mimic the sound that you hear as RPMs climb and pressure on the bolts goes up. As RPMs fall the bolts can hold the manifold snug to the head. You might want to try this before you do major surgery to replace lifters, etc.

Seafood? I like crab legs a lot.

Are you using cast iron exhaust manifolds??? If so, make sure that they are tightened down correctly. A poorly torqued manifold can mimic the sound that you hear as RPMs climb and pressure on the bolts goes up. As RPMs fall the bolts can hold the manifold snug to the head. You might want to try this before you do major surgery to replace lifters, etc.
Hooker headers on mine, but will go over this again just to make sure!
Seafood? I like crab legs a lot.
I did wonder this? Haha is it a brand name or something or a typo?

Try a thinner oil grade like 10w30. That 20w50 may be a little thick for pumping up the lifters. And if it's a fresh engine it is even more so. Get it broke in good first with the 10w30 (500 miles) then you can go back to the 20w50 if you think you need to.

Adjustable rockers on hydraulic lifters? Try another 1/4 turn down on the valve adjustment to give the hydraulic lifters a little more preload.

☆☆☆☆☆

New phone works great...
Voice command sucks...
I see food, I eat it !!!....
You should hear them chinese people at the China Garden when we go sometimes. "dat dam redneck again. he gonna eat all da dam crab legs"

I had this fat woman sweep in with the grace of a gazelle and steal all the crab legs at a buffet once. I was amazed at how fast she could move...

-
Back