Lightweight brake options

-

345man2

Reaction score
lookin for a way to save a little weight on my 74 duster, is there still any kits available like the old ar ones that uses factory rotors and light weight bracket and calipers? any advice:D

The Kelsey Hays are a lot lighter but switching to the small bolt pattern does not seem the right way to go. Why do you want to do this? You can spend all kinds of money, but you usually loose longevity. Sorry, just thinking out loud...

Dang....I put the thinnest wore out rotors I had on that thing before I sold it to you! That shoulda saved a little weight. :D Have you checked with Dr. Diff ? He has all kinds of brake kits. Also AndyF used to make some caliper brackets to mount Viper calipers on stock spindles and 11.75 rotors. That would stop good, but I doubt it would save you much, if any weight. I'm trying to think of Andy's business name, but drawing a blank.:banghead: His name is Andy Finkbiener, and it's the guy who wrote the big block Mopar engine book a few years ago. I think he's a member here, and I know he is on Moparts. If it comes to me, I'll give you a call.

AndyF is AR Engineering. You can get his stuff through Mancini, Hughes, Bob Mazzolini, etc. I have a bunch of Andy's stuff on my car, he makes nice parts.

At some point AR changed their adapters to use updated Wilwood calipers. Not sure if he even makes them anymore though.

What kind of application is this for, race car or street? There are some very lightweight systems out there but typically they are for dedicated race cars and are not really great for the street. Aerospace and Strange make 'Pro Street' type kits, sure Wilwood does too.
Systems like that tend to use the 65-72 drum spindles with a rotor hat/adapter and various bracketry to make them work. They're also pricey.

lol jd still the same ones on it, its on a street strip car, wanting to shave a little weight and heard good and bad about the aftermarket kits, had seen the brackets ar made for wil wood calipers and that set up looked killer , just couldn find anyone who sells them on the net, hoping someone might have a connection to that set up:D

found an article on andy finkbiener jd hope he will see and respond or someone knows his username , see if he still makes any

I don't think Andy is making the viper kits anymore. I have dr diff's 13" "corbra style" kit on my duster, works great. It has aluminum hubs and uses the mustang cobra type calipers and corvette C4 rotors. Lots lighter than the stock brakes, especially the 11.75" rotors. I run a later model lightweight master cylinder from dr diff as well. Great stuff.

-
Back