Like Father, Like Son: The Story of my 1970 Dodge Dart

-
Thanks for all the advice. I've had a beast of a time just getting into the garage for an hour here or there. I chopped up all the steel to build a small fabrication table. Hopefully nights and this weekend I'll get it welded together. Garage is still in a state that I have to do 9 things before I even think of the car. That table will have built in storage where I can clear out the space I need to empty the car and get started on it. Once I'm to that point, I'll get the other thread going and link it here like I've said several times and still not gotten to, haha.

For now, I don’t intend to race it, but the 440 is definitely too exotic to be on the street for long. I’ve been told I need to swap the pistons and cam/lifters to get it better suited for street use. I’m still kind of at a loss there.

My big issue now is say, the trunk floor needs replaced, so do the rear frame rails, quarters, trunk extensions, and tail panel/bumper support. I have no idea where to start. To me it seems weird to weld a new floor to half rotten frame rails, then hack it off and continue down the line. If that’s normal practice then that’s what I’ll plan on.

I’m just a bit green and worried if I tear the whole thing apart and weld in supports, that I’d never get it back together right.
With stuff like this you will need jack stands, and a bunch of aluminum, or steel shim stock about the width of tongue depressors, and 4 cheap spirit levels. I got 4 of em at northern tool with magnet mount for $5 each.

You want to dissassemble the car of unboltable stuff like the front suspension K frame rear suspension etc get your jack stands under it and shim between the frame and Jack stands to get the body level on 4 axis. I say remove everything before doing this since if the car has severe corrosion issues you want to take the weight out of it before jacking and leveling. Once you set it in place and Jack and level it. Take your levels in place, mark the floor where the stands are, and do not move it until your framerail and floor replacement is done

How bad are the rear framerails? You may be able to just splice in new rear sections. Are they solid but with surface rust? Or are there holes in the sides you can poke through with a screwdriver? If you can splice, typically you add a U channel doubler of steel same thickness of the framerail that fits perfectly inside the framerail about 2' long so about 1' past the splice joint on either side a little less if you have to. You drill holes on both sides of the framerail to rosette weld the splice to it, and weld the joint where the frame sections meet. Then grind the welds flush. Lots of precision measuring, and cutting. Take your time. It's harder to cut it back out to redo it than it is to do it one time. I must have pulled the new trunk pan for my sons car in and out 3 dozen times to check, adjust, fit, prep, until I was happy enough with it that I welded it in. Seems fussy I know, but it's in, and perfect how it's done.

The other thing with rust is sometimes it's hard to tell. Something could look pretty bad till you hit it with a sand blaster, and it's just minor, or something that looks minor ends up holey when you blast it. If trunk is bad, carefully cut out strips that line up with the inside of the framerail U channel and take a peek inside see how bad the insides look. Be careful not to cut into the framerail.

I have had to put good parts together and "temp" tack weld them to the bad parts I was going to replace next. Think of the rusted floor as a temporary jig for the framerail your replacing. It helps hold it in place and provides a tell tale for alignment besides your tape measure. You can also use self tapping screws to hold those pieces together until you can weld the framerails in at the normal mounting points, then just zip the screws back out.

You really need to post pix of the "ROT" your mentioning. Sometimes it's not as bad as you think, sometimes it is. Hard for anybody here to make any assessment without seeing what your talking about.

Also these cars were made with nothing but tooling holes for alignment all over them. This helps you in the end to get it all in the right place on reassembly.

Last edited:
At least it's not like this one.

attachment-35.jpeg

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge! I'll head over to my messages in a few. Pictures will be coming, but the trunk is filled with some miscellaneous garage stuff right now (dismantled hoist, engine stand, etc.). I need to fab up that table before I can empty the car, so I'm really eager to get in there. Holiday/family duties have been taking over, so I really need to carve out some time just for that.

Oh BTW the 2 small holes that are about 1&1/4" diameter or so in the trunk floor and 4 small holes in the transition pan that all happen to have plastic plugs snapped in over them that seem to be in line with the framerails. Those are actually assembly jig tooling holes. If you pop those plastic plugs off and look straight down thru the holes, you will see the same sized holes in the framerails staring back at you. They leave em open on the bottom as water drains and as primer drains when the body lower half was submerge dipped in primer when on the assembly line. But their first job was to line up the floor sheetmetal and framerails squarely on assembly.

Oh BTW the 2 small holes that are about 1&1/4" diameter or so in the trunk floor and 4 small holes in the transition pan that all happen to have plastic plugs snapped in over them that seem to be in line with the framerails. Those are actually assembly jig tooling holes. If you pop those plastic plugs off and look straight down thru the holes, you will see the same sized holes in the framerails staring back at you. They leave em open on the bottom as water drains and as primer drains when the body lower half was submerge dipped in primer when on the assembly line. But their first job was to line up the floor sheetmetal and framerails squarely on assembly.
That's great info to have! That will definitely help lining up some new ones.

If you can find some steel tube that's the diameter of the holes. Cut it into pieces, Weld a shoulder onto them and make pins out of them. I also have a pair of these vise grip pinchers and a bunch of smaller vise grip clamps similar to this.

I also made metal splitters with sharpened stainless steel blades. And use ball rotary files on an inline air grinder. You grind the spotweld around the perimeter of the weld to weaken it, then drive the splitter between the 2 pieces of sheetmetal to cut thru. You grind on the spotwelds on the side your discarding most times. Sometimes you have to grind em on the side your going to keep.

Use good eye protection, and wear latex gloves to keep the metal splinters out of your hands. These ball files are about $12 each I have only went thru 2 of them even with all the dissassembly on my kids car.

20201114_155048.jpg

20201122_121340.jpg

20201122_121221.jpg

20201122_121430.jpg

20201122_121927.jpg

20201122_121542.jpg

Last edited:
Makes is so easy an 8 year old can do it. My kid helping me drill apart a car. Once I weakened the spot welds he popped it apart.

20200905_135134.jpg

I saw that ball file on one of your posts. Neat little tool. I have an air chisel, but have heard those will chew the metal up real bad. I need to grab an inline grinder still.

Whatever you do Dont use an air chisel. You want to seperate the pieces with as minimal distortion as possible. Get a setup like these too. Do NOT use a rotary file on an angled grinder. It will kick back on you like a rented mule.

20201208_143858.jpg

20201208_143931.jpg

If you look back at the build thread on my sons 69 notch. Specifically the trunk floor build, it details the install to help people follow in my footsteps. The holes drilled for rosette welds, and what I used to draw the floor to the framerails to weld it. Not high tech by any means. Trunk pan will fit in one piece thru the trunk opening. Main floor and the over axle transition pan will both fit each in one piece thru the passegner or drivers door openings with door removed, steering column out, and quarter glass rolled down.

Been chipping away when I can. Many thanks to @moparmat2000 for his advice and friendship!

Pulled the hood off and hung it from the ceiling above the car. Took a fender off too, just out of curiosity. Rot all over, like I thought. Then Christmas Happened. Then some stuff with at the VA hospital happened (nothing major), then it was over and the car looked like I never wanted it to..... A bunch of junk accumulating on it.

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

39a.JPG

40.JPG

41.jpg

Then Christmas came for me! Got a ton of stuff I needed to start working on the car. Recommended tools, a nice driver-quality front bumper for a good deal here on FABO.

Then my trunk pan and extensions I got for 30% off from YearOne showed up with dents and crimps around the edges and the trunk extensions folded in half like a taco instead of a right angle.

Still waiting on the body cart from Jegs. Been on backorder since Dec. 16!!! I'm glad I ordered it ahead of time because I'm just getting around to getting the garage in order to start working.

42.JPG

43.JPG

44.JPG

45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.PNG

50.PNG

51.PNG

From just before Christmas to right now, I've been building a little fab table. Made progress on the quality of welds, but still need plenty of practice before I touch sheet metal. I designed the table to tuck the 440 under, house my welder, bench grinder, and vise, and have several other helpful shelves built into it.

It also has storage underneath for my smaller compressor and another tool box I have to still fill with all the stuff that's been sitting on and around the car. Even got the kids involved!

52.JPG

53.JPG

54.JPG

55.JPG

56.JPG

57.JPG

58.JPG

58a.JPG

59.JPG

60.JPG

Engine fits perfectly under there, but I may want to cover it in something thicker. Was thinking drop cloth maybe. Sparks and slag make me wary of that route though. That table freed up a ton of space!

Ran some electrical out to the table, and last, I finally emptied the car of all the heavy stuff! Hoist, engine stand, frame rails, bumpers, etc. are tucked nicely away in my furnace closet now. Some small organization and cleaning up the mess I made to accomplish all this, then I'll get to disassembly on the car. Finally!

61.JPG

63.JPG

64.JPG

65.JPG

65a.JPG

66.JPG

67.JPG

68.JPG

69.JPG

70.JPG

First of all my deepest condolences over the loss of your father. I'm a little late to this thread though I did read it a while back just never commented. I am also probably about your father's age and I have worked on my 340 swinger with my son since he was old enough to help in the garage. I still have my car and it is now approaching completion LOL it's been about 40 years. I just would encourage you to enjoy the journey that you are embarking on and realize that there will be times you will have to step away for possibly extended periods of time. My dart set for 13 years on jack stands one time as I was raising my kids and the budget just did not allow me to put money into my car at that time. It's going to be like a relationship happy moments sad moments and everything in between.I don't like to tear things apart till I am ready to begin to reassemble them I have seen too many projects blown apart and just became overwhelming for anyone to try to complete. I would also say that buying parts on sale or at a good price is a good idea, it can be right next to hoarding or collecting LOL. Anything purchased that is not used is basically just a waste of money. I do not have time to try to find a buyer for all my extra junk so I try to keep it to a minimum. There will always be another great deal. Best of luck on your endeavor.

Still accumulating parts and tools. It’s been real slow to get out in the garage, but I’m closer than ever now. 8 3/4 housing with 489 center /3.91 gears, level 3 chassis stiffening kit from US Car Tool, BBP front disc brake parts, a valance, that body dolly finally came in. SB to BB Schumacher mounts are on their way. Still need to strip the car down of the front suspension and rear end to really assess how much work is needed. A lot of patching and sheet metal work in my future.

DD5AC694-5DA8-4D6F-96F7-F8064A1F9116.jpeg

It’s still been slow to get garage time in. Changing jobs and all kinds of other curve balls life has had in store have kept me out of there. I need to sort and store about 5, 5 gallon buckets of miscellaneous small tools and hardware before I can use the space I created in the garage. Decided to do something motivating and built the body cart. Pretty neat, but the plastic wing nuts can go to hell. They painted inside the welded on nuts and that alone was enough to strip the plastic head off a few of them. The rest feels great. I even had a little help!

-
Back