Like Roseanne Roseannada said.....

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
.....It's always something! I think the kickdown linkage in my 64ragtop is finally configured correctly to function. I'd be road testing it now, but the charging circuit is acting up now. At idle, with the lights off, the ammeter shows a slight charge. Bringing the revs up to 1500 or so , the ammeter goes to full scale and by 2000 rpm, the ammeter is pegged. At idle, my DVM shows 12.7 -13 volts at the battery terminals. Bringing the revs up, the voltage goes up to 16.5!!

A friend and I recently changed out the dash and underhood wiring harnesses. The overcharging started then. Yesterday, I noticed the voltage regulator felt loose. When I pulled on it one of the two mounting screws fell out and disappeared into the void. Turned out the other mounting screw was just finger tight, the holes were stripped. So the VR ground came into question. I sanded the paint off the firewall where the VR mounting tabs go, went up one size on those screws, and pulled them up tight.

NO CHANGE!!

The regulator is a solid-state replacement for the original electro-mechanical black box. There had been no previous charging issues, even though the bulkhead connector was in pretty bad shape, thus the new harnesses. If the regulator ground isn't (and wasn't) the problem, that leaves the VR crapping out, the alternator going wild, or some other failure that I'm missing. The only test I know of for the VR is replacement, and I thought I'd ask here first.

Any ideas, folks??

Thanks

BC

Thanks, 73A, and boy I hate those procedures where ya go back to square one and follow a methodical step - by - step plan. BUT THEY WORK!!

In this case though, the problem turned out to be the blue wire instead of the green wire on the alternator field connector. Workin' fine now!

The clue.of course, was that the overcharging started with the new wiring harnesses. A bunch of plug-in connections and one was incorrect.

ATB and HAPPY NEW YEAR

BC

-
Back