Line Lock Installation

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys.........

How much should I expect to have to spend on a decent line-lock setup for my 72 Demon, and how much would be average for a shop to install it?

I'd really like to put one on the car........Anyone experienced here? :read2:

I paid about $50 for my whole setup, give or take a couple. I got a summit (made by hurst) line lock. Used my factory horn button with a toggle to work it. Relay, wires. And a $3 brake line from napa. Mine is mounted just before the rear rubber brake line leaves the body.

User preference. I like to have my foot control the movment of the car rather than the fronts being dead locked.

Goody,
You may have to clarify.
Most owners only know about locking the fronts, not locking
out the rears.

Yeah, I wanted to lock the fronts normally using my pedal, with the rears effectively blocked from play by the line-lock.......simple toggle maybe, probably a momentary within reach of my left hand........

Any idea how much to install one? (I will do my own wiring).

I got mine hooked up to the front line coming off the master
cylinder. That way it LOCKS the front brakes. But then i only
use it during my burnout. I like to load up the car at the
line with the foot brake.

I don't have a line lock but may be interested in installing one. The rear setup sounds cool because you don't see it. I have separate lines from the master cylinder to the front and rear brakes. My adj proportion valve in at the rear of the car.

Wonder if it is better to put the line lock before or after the prop valve in the rear. Or is the install simpler up by the master cyl. That area is already crapped on my car with the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder/reservoir and all.

Since it's a 5-spd i would think that I only need it for burnouts right?

Of my rear setup? I'll try to remember this evening to take pictures. Its nothing fancy!Or another setup? I used to have it lock the fronts, and moved it.

Still no clear direction here...........

I want to control my front brakes with the pedal, but have the rear brake line blocked off for burnouts.

Where should the line-lock be installed (far back, far forward?) and how much would be an average figure if I had a shop install it on my line? Anyone have an idea? I really don't want to mess with the brake fluid and bleeding..etc...............

????????? :read2:

daves66valiant,

I think I am missing siomethinmg in your post... I also want a line-loc for burnouts which is why I want to lock the fronts... I think you suggested you want it also for burnouts but want to lock the rears. I don't think that works but perhaps I have missed the point.

Thanks,
Kory

Still no clear direction here...........

I want to control my front brakes with the pedal, but have the rear brake line blocked off for burnouts.

Where should the line-lock be installed (far back, far forward?) and how much would be an average figure if I had a shop install it on my line? Anyone have an idea? I really don't want to mess with the brake fluid and bleeding..etc...............

????????? :read2:

Here is what you need if you want to lock the rears out and be able to modulate the brake pedal.

My setup

100_2681.JPG

Hurst is one of the best out there, on my other duster i had it mounted just below the master cylinder,locking out the front brakes for my burnouts,when i stage tyhe car i footbrake it,i'm doing the same with this duster also...

The directions on the line-loc I have state that it does not close the line - but holds the pressure in the line.....

"At the line, you can stage, apply the brake, push the button, let off the brake, and the front brakes are held on until the button is released. This allows you to let out the clutch some without accidentally rolling the car forward. Release the button at the same time you release the clutch to launch the car."

Based on this - I think using it on the fronts is the preferred approach.... but perhaps others who have used it on the rear can chime in here.

Kory

Note it says 'clutch'. I have no third pedal on my car, so i mounted mine in the rear. It'd be kinda hard unless you have three feet to launch a manual with a rear mounted line lock, clutch and gas pedal. :D

Mine works.. :D

Hey Tom

Here is a link to my setup. It is near the bottom of the page.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=21167

Mine is a TCI and the cost was about $50. I installed it myself and it was very easy. It controls my front brakes for doing burnouts and I launch using my foot brake. As far as having somebody do it, it should only take about an hour from start to finish including bleeding the front brakes.

From reading your last post, it sounds like you may be a little confused on how a line-loc works. If you want to do a burnout, you want the front brakes applied and the rears not. The line-loc holds the front brakes on after you release the brake pedal, thus allowing your rear tires to spin freely. This is the way most people set up a line-loc.

Those that have the line-loc hooked to the rear brakes are either front wheel drive cars or they are holding the rear tires while they apply gas to the engine. A simple substitute for a trans brake. Works good in class's where trans-brakes are not allowed.

Jack

daves66valiant,

I think I am missing siomethinmg in your post... I also want a line-loc for burnouts which is why I want to lock the fronts... I think you suggested you want it also for burnouts but want to lock the rears. I don't think that works but perhaps I have missed the point.

Thanks,
Kory

Basically they are blocking the fluid to the rear so when they put their foot on the brake they lock the front, but don't lock the back by blocking pressure. I do like the setup, but it wouldn't work for me with a four speed. If my car was an auto I would probably do it this way.

pic 14.jpg

The intended design of a line lock is to lock the front brakes for doing your burnout but like Jack said they can also be used to hold the back wheels to a certain extent. They do not work nearly as well as a trans-brake though. I have the stock size rear brakes on my 68 Cuda and their manual so no matter how hard I mash the brake pedal when I torque it up it pushes forward so it wouldn't work very well using as a trans-brake.

If you install it on the front wheels the installation is real easy. Just run the rear line coming off your master cyl to the line-loc and the output of the line-loc now goes to the prop valve and bleed the system. Should be able to do it an hour or so.

In the 70's, I ran N and P Stock/A Eliminator, and had both cars set up with simple line locks.......a very simple solenoid valve was installed on the main line that goes to the rear brakes. When you flipped the switch, the valve closed and the rear brakes were then null and void. We used the pedal to hold the front brakes while doing a burnout, but the pressure never reached the rears.

I hope this clarifies it a little........Now, I haven't been on a strip since late 77 at the Valley (Lebanon).......In my little research into new line locks, I cannot find a simple system such as I've described to you. As stated, they generally "lock fast" the front brakes with a switch, and you don't use your pedal........Call me old fashioned or romantic, but I'd like the old-school setup I had previously.

Anyone else know what I'm describing, and if maybe they may still be available out there somewhere? I saw the previous photo post of one that he said worked like I describe, but I want to be certain we're on the same page.

With my system installed, I could effectively turn my back brakes OFF completely, and still drive the car with front brakes only....rears would be non-working when the switch is on.

MAYBE, just MAYBE, these fell prey to safety legislation...????

Whatever............ If anyone has a lead or a link, let me know. Doc

With my setup i could take out my momentary swtich and put a toggle to lockout the rears completely and drive. Line lock manufactures recommend you dont leave the valve energized for more than a minute however.

Tom, Pm me. I'm close to you. I have the tools/knowledge/time to do it. PS the line lock is traditionally mounted to "hold" pressure on the frt brakes, though if you want it to block the rears that's no problem. Eric

-
Back