Link bar to block clearance

-

boilermaker

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just wondering what minimum clearance is required between link bar ,button and pin to block would be acceptable? I'm using Comp 828-16 lifters in my 318 roller block. After grinding I can get a .015" feeler gauge all around and under the pin to block. I'm concerned about growth when engine warms up.

Thanks,
John

Nothing should "grow" that much. But is that clearance with the lifter at the top of the cam lobe, and thus the minimum support from the bore? You need to check there to make sure it can't tilt over as it is rising in the bore and losing support.

When I ran those lifters years ago, I just ground the block until they didn't drag...but I didn't go over board on the grinding (I was worried about ruining the block). Never had a problem with the lifters.

Edit: Just FYI, Comp sells a version of those with the link bar on the other side that just drop right in (no grinding required).

When I ran those lifters years ago, I just ground the block until they didn't drag...but I didn't go over board on the grinding (I was worried about ruining the block). Never had a problem with the lifters.

Edit: Just FYI, Comp sells a version of those with the link bar on the other side that just drop right in (no grinding required).
On the other side of that coin.
I have a set of 828 lifters in my LA 340 and they are junk. Since new the bleed off fast, clatter on start up hot of cold no matter where you set the preload. If it wasnt for the fact that you must pull the heads to remove them I would have **** canned them a long time ago. There are much better lifters than Comp 828

On the other side of that coin.
I have a set of 828 lifters in my LA 340 and they are junk. Since new the bleed off fast, clatter on start up hot of cold no matter where you set the preload. If it wasnt for the fact that you must pull the heads to remove them I would have **** canned them a long time ago. There are much better lifters than Comp 828
828s are solid rollers. There should be no bleed off in your case causing a noise

I
Nothing should "grow" that much. But is that clearance with the lifter at the top of the cam lobe, and thus the minimum support from the bore? You need to check there to make sure it can't tilt over as it is rising in the bore and losing support.
Great tip! Mocking up with heads on, and pushrods in. The link bar buttons lose some clearance at full lift. Back to a bit more clearance grinding.

-
Back