Little ears, big ears?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
Working on a '72 Duster. At the rear of the rear 1/4's there is an "ear" which is about 1" x 6-8". On my parts Duster (a '75) the ear is about 3/4" x 3-4". Is the large ear necessary? Does is have some function in relation to the rear bumper that the different bumper in '75 does not require? The replacement piece I picked up doesn't have an ear at all. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.
The first pic is the '72, the second the '75.
Thanks,
C

Duster 4-28-2008 055.jpg

Duster 4-28-2008 057.jpg

The difference between the two size ears would be for the different size bumpers. 1974+ rear bumpers were a lot bigger & heavier then the '73 and earlier bumpers. The '74+ bumpers also had a plastic 'filler' piece that covers the distance between the fender and bumper.

Thanks,
That's pretty much what I thought it was, but my cars were completely tore down and I couldn't see that in various photos I had taken before I started.

H22A4, you're not one of "those" folks that Lou Dobbs is always venting on are you? J/K - I think that's H4B1 or some such Gov'mint number...

Thanks,
That's pretty much what I thought it was, but my cars were completely tore down and I couldn't see that in various photos I had taken before I started.

H22A4, you're not one of "those" folks that Lou Dobbs is always venting on are you? J/K - I think that's H4B1 or some such Gov'mint number...

Nope my user name has nothing to do with a government number. It's Honda's engine code for what's in my Prelude (daily driver). On the Honda boards I use the Chrysler engine code.

-
Back