Little engine delimma I need help with.

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
not an A body but another project I have going. A few years ago I bought a truck pretty cheap with a blown up 4.7 in it so I pulled it out to replace and couldn't find one for sale so I rebuit it which got pretty costly because it was thoroughly destroyed. To make a long story short, between selling my business and my building and moving all my car stuff around it's ended up just sitting for about 5 years before we got it installed. When we fired it up we have one cylinder that is dead(number6) and I suspect the rings are stuck in that cylinder as a result of my procrastination and some sub par storage facilities so the question is, is there some mirical cure or desperation move I can try to get this cylinder to work before I start tearing into it again? Any practical advice or old car guy tricks would be appreciated.

Try some Marvel Mystery Oil in that cylinder. Although I have never done it, I have heard story after story after story about how it worked.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I used to know an old guy that was a dealership mechanic all the way back to the 1930's and he was a wealth of knowledge and shortcuts to make things work again. I wish he was still around today.

not an A body but another project I have going. A few years ago I bought a truck pretty cheap with a blown up 4.7 in it so I pulled it out to replace and couldn't find one for sale so I rebuit it which got pretty costly because it was thoroughly destroyed. To make a long story short, between selling my business and my building and moving all my car stuff around it's ended up just sitting for about 5 years before we got it installed. When we fired it up we have one cylinder that is dead(number6) and I suspect the rings are stuck in that cylinder as a result of my procrastination and some sub par storage facilities so the question is, is there some mirical cure or desperation move I can try to get this cylinder to work before I start tearing into it again? Any practical advice or old car guy tricks would be appreciated.
Have You checked the compression in that cylinder? What led You to believe that is the issue? Did the rebuild include reboring, if so the rings should have a seal enough to run
on, the "stuck ring" syndrome resulting in a misfire typically happens on an engine w/tapered bores to the rings that sat at the bottom of a cyl. Have You checked for the
injector being stuck/contaminated or clogged, rondentia damaged harness, strong spark at the plug etc.? The screens in some injectors are so fine that water will actually
"plug" them, having set a while, an insect or debris could've entered the fuel rail & ended up in the screen, ........seen it all happen so,.....just some ideas...............

Yeah, we got a big zero on the compression check. Motor was completely rebuilt by a very competent shop(who is actually a good buddy of mine) the engine was stored in a barn for a couple of years and the humidity in there was terrible, I was concerned that this would be the result but at the time had nowhere else to store it. Nobody's fault but mine, procrastination is a ***** sometimes.

With zero compression I would suspect a valve hung open. Pressurize that culinder with compressed air and listen to the intake and exhaust for leaking air....

A 360 or a 5.9 magnum should be pretty cheap at a pic-and-pull. Easier too.

"With zero compression I would suspect a valve hung open. Pressurize that cylinder with compressed air and listen to the intake and exhaust for leaking air...."

I agree with 55Dave here, "0" compression=stuck valve, leak down testers are in the same dept as compression testers and almost as cheap to buy and a must in every tool box, if the valve is stuck the Mercury Power Tune mentioned earlier by joesbp dose work very well, I actually am a Mercury Dealer and use it all the time, I also have used the Marvel Mystery oil and it works well for stuck valves too

I would pull the valve cover and see if it threw off a rocker arm or there may be too much lash and need a shim under the lifter. Kim

I would pull the valve cover and see if it threw off a rocker arm or there may be too much lash and need a shim under the lifter. Kim

^^^^^^^ this would be my first check they usually don't hold the valve open when they spit a rocker out but I seen it before once .

All of the above possible, and possibly true. If the valve was hung open the rocker would be easy to throw after the fact, pull the cover & check them. Hopefully if a valve
hung open it didn't get clipped by the piston or..............................

Thanks for all the suggestions except the one about buying a cheap 5.2 or 5.9, not easy to replace a 4.7 with a magnum, complete different wiring, computer and transmission.

A 360 or a 5.9 magnum should be pretty cheap at a pic-and-pull. Easier too.
Not an easy swap in a 4.7 truck, different wiring,computer,transmission, and exhaust. If it were that easy I would have installed one of the 408's I have in the garage in it already.

-
Back