Little tale of my first '65 Valiant....

-

AbodyTim

Reaction score
My Dad bought it used in '67, IIRC. Had just bought Mom a BN '67 Belvedere II sw to haul us kids around in. It was his DD until early '71- 2 dr. sedan in Medium blue Poly, 170, & 3-on-the-tree. I learned to drive in it and it was going to be mine when I turned 16 in Feb. '71. Around the first of January he told my Mom he was afraid I was going to get run over in it with that little leaning tower of power and was going to put a small V8 in it. At the time my uncle managed a salvage yard and Dad had his eye on a 273 in a wrecked '65 'cuda. As we were pulling the /6 & trans out, my uncle said if he wanted it, he could have the 340 out of the '68 'cuda a couple cars away. No one would buy it as it had been hit hard in the front and broke the water pump. Thus the speed demon in me was awakened.
After the transplant (auto and complete duals off the 'cuda which made it necessary to cut the rear valance for the tips) Dad was driving it to work again one day. What he had failed to tell anyone previously was that most mornings when he got on I-85 there was usually a guy in an English Ford following him down the ramp and would then proceed to blow Dads doors off. This time Dad let him get even with the Valiant before he proceeded to blow the doors off the little Ford. :lol: Dad said after that, if the guy was getting on behind him, he always stayed way back. :rofl:

-
Back