Lizard Skin

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
As I'm wrapping up a frame off restoration, I figured i'd share my experience with this stuff.

Summary: It's great!

I used it in the wheel wells, the smugglers box (for you guys who know the El Camino's), the interior (floor, rear firewall, front firewall and ceiling).

The interior areas got the sound & the heat protection. The other areas only got sounds deadener. Everything was then base coated and clear coated.

This stuff not only works, it actually noticeably changes the structural strength of the metal. The panels, especially the roof are more rigid, and the sound, even to a knock with the hand is way more dead.

You can get it at Classic Industries, JEGS, etc... This stuff does have a shelf life and must not be allowed to freeze while in storage.

Can you post photos? I'm considering using that to cover the interior exposed rear floor, rear firewall, interior wheel wells, and package tray in my 66 Dart. I'm curious what texture looks like.

Last edited:
Can you post photos? I'm considering using that to cover the interior exposed rear floor, rear firewall, interior wheel wells, and package tray in my 66 Dart. I'm curious what texture looks like.

I can't from my work computer. If you google lizard skin and click images you'll see a million of them.

I used this product on a 70 charger and 67 dart. It goes on fairly easily. I dont have any comparisons with and without it thought. I guess the best way to describe the texture is like a bed liner

I anyone is interested, there is a way to make a homemade version of Lizard Skin.

It starts on page 2 of this HAMB thread. Under floor insulation? - case in point

I tried this with cheap latex paint and the micro balloons mentioned. I masked off all the holes in a deck lid and then poured it in between the inner and outer skins, then just moved the deck lid around so it covered everything and poured out the excess. Did it work? Yea, it covered it, and the decklid doesn't sound as "tinny" when you open and close it. Is it as good as the real thing? Don't know... Never tried the real stuff, but this was a lot cheaper.

I think this is used in small planes with the latex paint, but I've never really looked at it any farther than buying the materials and trying it.

In fact, if someone wants to try this, I have a lot of the micro balloons left, I didn't use much, and I'll pass them on free to whoever wants to pay the shipping. Just PM me.

-
Back