Local Newsman Mispronounced Plymouth BADLY!

-
Gal at the insurance office did that to me last week.
Plie-mowf Vall-eye-ant?

Valient. Yeah I've seen it. lol
1706802951673.png

:rofl: My entire childhood the first day of school was "What will this college educated idiot call me today?" Day
Pretty simple Hallman. Hile man, Hillman, Holeman, Hellman, etc. They used about every vowel available except the correct one :rofl:

We have a few unusually pronounced street names around here. Everybody from this area knows their pronunciation well. One example is Pio Nono avenue. Named after an American indian. Correctly pronounced (around here anyway) Pie-ah-nonna. We've heard Pee Oh no-no so much from new loacl TV personalities, it's stupid. We also have a Houston Avenue. Yup. Pronounced HOWston, because it was someone's name and that's how they pronounced it. You'd THINK these media stations would educate these cats with some of these local names, but it always cracks me up.
The whole area I live in was settled by Dutchmen, led by one Reverend van Raalte, so there are more then a few streets and hamlets around with names referring back to the Netherlands, New Groningen, overijsel, and my personal favorite...Graafschap

Now, it just so happens that I am fluent in Dutch, so sometimes my neighbors will use a pronunciation on one of those, and I have no clue what they are talking about

Wall street. Manhattan. Both derivatives of Dutch settlement.

English is such a stupid language, I would hate to be trying to learn it:

Later I will read the book my Mum read to me as a child, the one with the red cover...

Wall street. Manhattan. Both derivatives of Dutch settlement.

English is such a stupid language, I would hate to be trying to learn it:

Later I will read the book my Mum read to me as a child, the one with the red cover...
Brooklyn, Harlem, we can go on for quite a while

The best way I have heard the English language described is as "three different dialects in a trenchcoat pretending to be a legitimate language"

Our hobby has a rich history with "Elder-Brock" carbs and intake manifolds.
Damn man, bear me to it. I kept thinking that as I was reading posts. And I've heard El-de-brock without the R
Maybe it's Elder-brock if you're referring to Vic senior, and
El-de-brock if you are referring to production moving to Mexico.

I have to keep telling my wife, its Chi pote lay, not Chi pole tay.

Last edited:
Damn man, bear me to it. I kept thinking that as I was reading posts. And I've heard Elde-brock without the R

I've gotten to the point of not bothering because my wife butchers so many words that I'd be in a constant state of argument.
Though I still tell her its Chi pote lay, not Chi pole tay.
Remember the old old Weiand Intake manifolds used to have cast in "Say Why-And." To this day I hear WeeLand and WeeLin. Personally I think the original lead singer of the Stone temple Pilots should make intake manifolds. His name is Scott Weiland

When I first started trucking the Ohio city of Elryria was a tough one to figger out. Finally heard the pronunciation on the radio.

-
Back