Lock Cylinder Broke

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
Hi all - a few months ago i put my key into the passenger door lock cylinder, turned the key and heard a *Click* noise.. the lock then sucked the key in and spun in full 360 degree circles (wouldn't release the key till i finally jiggled it out). Now i can only lock the car from the inside.

Anyway - this just happened again on the driver side! I had to coathanger my door open this morning (the key is still in the lock now.. cant get it out!)

I'll be taking the door card off this afternoon but was curious if anyone has any advice for me before i get started investigating.

IMG_3031.JPG

hopefully it was just the clip holding the rod.
Otherwise buy a new lock set . They are reasonable

hopefully it was just the clip holding the rod.
Otherwise buy a new lock set . They are reasonable
ebay has them for $250..! its the clip at the back of the lock that hooks the rod to the lock part you use inside the car...

Just for history sake - i took the lock cylinders out of the doors. Theres a "Z" shaped bracket that is pressed onto the back of the cylinder. That bracket hooks to the door latch and moves the chrome lock pole on the inside of the door. If this bracket breaks off, the inside of the cylinder can move back, sucking the key further in than it should go, which misaligns the pins inside the lock cylinder. This will freeze the key into the lock and wont allow it to come out.

The solution is to pull the top of the lock off, remove all the lock's pins and springs and set pins. This will allow the key to slide out. Then for $5-30 bucks at a local locksmith (given that you caught all the small pins) they'll reset the lock.

Of course, you need to find the "Z" bracket. I found one, but not the other. I'll need a replacement for one OR just not have a door lock on that side..

My solution? I bought those electronic keyless entry things and will be using that instead of a key.

IMG_3047.JPG

-
Back