Lock Smith for Key Cutting Early A's

-

Abodyman

Reaction score
Hello FABO family. Do any of you out there know where I can find a lock smith to cut a key blank for my 63 Dart. I've got the trunk lock removed, and I have an original 63 key blank. I just can't find a automotive lock smith in Maryland that can cut the key. They've all told me that they can't get codes which date back this far. It's a bit of a Pain honestly. When I was younger and lived in upstate NY we had a lock smith that could cut a key for any lock, so long as you had the lock or key. Things have certainly changed with time. Anyways any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Go to a locksmith, not a dealership or key-cutter. Any locksmith should be able to do it.

Any numbers stamped on the cylinder assembly? Sometimes codes were stamped there.
If so, you need to visit an older Chrysler dealership who may still have the 60-70's key codes and cutter still around.
Useless you find a dealer who has been in business for at least 30 years, getting a key for a 60's car or truck is not likely. The new codes are totally different.
I have the name of older Chrysler dealership that probably can make the key.
Let me know

I have saved many lock cylinders from cars I've parted out over the years. If you have a trunk key already cut you can pin the cylinder to fit your key fairly easily. I posted some pics of this a few years back on a thread here but I think the hosting site went tits up. You just need an assortment of extra pins to correspond the key cuts. Just about any locksmith can either do an impression cut or decode you cylinder and make a key.

I have saved many lock cylinders from cars I've parted out over the years. If you have a trunk key already cut you can pin the cylinder to fit your key fairly easily. I posted some pics of this a few years back on a thread here but I think the hosting site went tits up. You just need an assortment of extra pins to correspond the key cuts. Just about any locksmith can either do an impression cut or decode you cylinder and make a key.

^^^^^ this was my approach also. Now all my cars use the same key.

There's an old guy by my house I've used before for this, just take him a lock and $35 and you get locks with keys!! Trouble is if you want a trunk key, it's another $35!! Look for an old school locksmith, and if you can find a locksmith that doesn't do them, ask him if he knows who does!!

if that cyl has the rectangular chrome removeable cover as opposed to the rectangular recessed peened cover you can remove it (the chromed cover). the tabs are brittle so move them just enough so the chrome cover can come off. remove the tumblers/pins and springs for (4) of the holes & leave the assy in the hole next to the chrome cover. either reinstall the chrome cover or best is to cover it with something flat (if possible, dont have one in front of me for a visual to remember if it'll hold em at the right height) as you will be removing the brittle cover (the tabs) many times & it is britttle). with a mini file, file the corresponding area of the key down till it is at the right height so when inserted the cyl will turn. Repeat on the next (4) & even if you only do several its OK cuz nobody picks locks anymore (exc in the movies). (2) functioning holes will give you a secure functioning lock. the total height of the pin/tumbler combo in each hole is different & the notches will correspondingly be different so the pin(s) are all at the same height so the cyl is free to turn.

I was able to use a locksmith near Lancaster, PA.
Matched both locks (re pinned) one, cut keys.

I've had local locksmiths make keys for me in both Chicago and Detroit.

-
Back