Locked Engine

-
Years ago we used a socket and breaker bar on the crank. Pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil. Put a long piece of pipe on the breaker bar and hang a concrete cinder block from it and let the weight of the block slowly free it up. As the pipe moves down reset it and let it sit a couple more days.

This method will work if it isn't seized up too bad. It also does a little less damage to the cylinder walls.

It does take some time, if you have the time.

The cyl walls are toast of course, that's a no brainer those cyl walls will have no sealing ability anymore...so as for just getting the pistons out so you can bore and hone the cylinders ..try what these guys have mentioned , ATF, MARVEL OIL, DESIEL, BREAKER BAR ON CRANK...but in the end if they don't work 'see ATF sat on our willies flat 4 pistons for over a decade and never they came free' then the reality is an air hammer/chisill. If you can somehow get the all the rod bolts loose and slip the crank out...then just get a big hammer and punch and beat the **** out of them till they fly out.

The cyl walls are toast of course, that's a no brainer those cyl walls will have no sealing ability anymore...so as for just getting the pistons out so you can bore and hone the cylinders ..try what these guys have mentioned , ATF, MARVEL OIL, DESIEL, BREAKER BAR ON CRANK...but in the end if they don't work 'see ATF sat on our willies flat 4 pistons for over a decade and never they came free' then the reality is an air hammer/chisill. If you can somehow get the all the rod bolts loose and slip the crank out...then just get a big hammer and punch and beat the **** out of them till they fly out.

This will probably be the reality of it....

Took the motor out and heads are off. It was rebuild at 1 time
5A1517EE-1F29-4527-8F47-0E97D97555B5-3444-000002D9798D2A62_zps1009774c.jpg

So can you get the crank shaft out of it? That way you will be able to work on one piston at a time and not be putting force on everything at once.

I saw a guy fill the cylinders with kerosene & light it on fire. After that he poured kroil in the cylinders & let it sit overnight. Most of the kroil seeped past the rings. He put more kerosene in it & light it again. When that burned out he tapped the pistons down with an old hammer handle while it was still warm & the broke free almost right away. He put the head back on it & drove it for 3+ years. I never saw it smoke at all. It was an old Valiant /6 that was locked up tight!

Dude the pistons are in backwards...lol

Gee I wonder the rods were flipped around and hence the motor won't turn over...lol

:cheers:

That's another for the file. Nice eyebrows in the pistons where intake valve hammered them.

I agree the rods may be in backwards, chamfers to inside and dragging on the crank.

None of those pistons/wall look like they are corroded so badly as to be locked up!

I would take off the rod caps you can get to. I bet those pistons will knock right out , then try to spin it to get the rest

If the crank isn't scared to Hell, he might get away with just reinstalling everything the right way and running it...but at this point its probably a grood idear to sheck evryting reer grood...lol

:coffee2:
If the crank isn't scared to Hell, he might get away with just reinstalling everything the right way and running it...but at this point its probably a grood idear to sheck evryting reer grood...lol

How to you scare a crank to hell????

Haha, well...u build and install it next to the blast cab and use a harbor freight torque wrench. ;)

Hey I can't spell for ****...unless its a four letter word.lol

Good morning btw, how's the weather up there?

That would definitely scare the hell out of a crankshaft......

Good Morning Justin.....low 50's and cloudy. Spring is here, go form sunny & warm to overcast & chilly 5 minutes later. Predicting rain for most of next week, need to go out to the garage and finish the bike up so I can get a bit of riding in, just in case they are right.

-
Back