Lokar Kick down cable install

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any one had any experince installing these on a 904?. Any tricks you can pass on?. I'm going to do mine tomowrow when I get off work.Does it take all day or what. What should I know before I start? Special tools needed??.

Thanks, Dave

Oh yea this is a 340 with a Speed Demon carb on an Ld 340 Eddie Maniflod.I have the ARE Hi-rise throttle cable adopter.I know the Lokar cable ges thru the ARE lower bracket hole.

Thanks, Dave

no special tools needed - on bolt on the tailshaft needs to come out to mount the lokar bracket... very strait foreward install... will also need a spring for the kickdown arm...

Thanks Thunder
Does the spring go on the kick down lever on the tranny, and pull it forward??
Ive got it in and installed but it dosent seem to work quite as good as the mech linkage on the ole 318 did. I thought maybe a spring would help. I'll try it tomorow. I have no slack in the cable at WOT. I also cut off 12 inches to make the cable housing shorter for faster responce. ( I use to do Aircraft controls that were cable).

Thanks Dave

Just finished the same install on my Duster, and sued the spring. Not 100% sold on the cable. Seems like my prior shift where much better. I also jsut had the trans rebuilt with kevlar bands and redlien raceing clutches, they had to r&r the valve body as well and it was supposed to get a transgo shift kit but I sued to be able to chirp the tires on a 1-2 upshift at wot now nothing.... not sure if this is a trannt thing or the cable.

Thanks Duster
I'm not sure if this is a good set up either, It dosent shift any where near as good as the factory linkage did.I've been playing with it now for about a week and can't get it to shift right.Mine will chirp the tyres if I shift manually,and I use to be able to punch it at 30 and it would shift down ,and take off like a rocket,same at 50-60, now nothing.
I'm wondering if the cable isn't pulling loose or stretching.I'm going to keep playing with it. Maybe I can rig something up fabricating on the factory linkage, by making the stock throttle bracket 1 1/4 inches taller and use the bracket fulcrum/pivot point,also have to extend the verticle rod. We'll see.
Dave

Tired of all the down time on my car so I pulled the lokar stuff off and went back to my factory linkage for now, jsut gotta figure out how to trim up a mopar to holley adapter for my Demon.

I'll get back to the lokar eventully just maybe wait till wiinter to play with it more.

May I sugest using a cable from a '99-'01 Dakota 3.9L. you will find mounting it to be very easy, and a braket kit frm summit/jeggs/etc. can make it mountable to any carb. It won't be as pretty as a Lokar, but WILL be easier to adjust. Rule of thumb, raise the throttle pressure ( tighten the cable) as high as you want, as long as you still have a WOT 2-1 down shift from 15/20 mph (1/4 throttle or less to WOT).

Up date, on Lokar kick down cable install.

After playing around with it for two weeks, I finally got it to work. This is on a Speed Demon 650 CFM carb on an LD 340 intake using an AR Engineering hi-rise throttle bracket, on my newly built 340. I now have quick upshifts and good kick down from 25 mph and up. At 60 it will down shift two 2nd and take off like a rocket, the way the stock rod linckage did, on the 318.

I found the trick was to get "all the slack out of the cable", with the kick down lever on the tranny " held all the way forward". I think the cables strech (sp) a little when new as i had to adjust it a few times. Then make sure the cable clamps are tight. I used the kick down spring from the stock linkage to hold the lever forward,as this is a mild spring. I mounted the spring right on the lever on the tranny, holding it in the forward posistion. When I installed it I made sure the adjuster turn barrels on both ends were tight also, these work just brake adjusters on bicycles, you can adjust the cable then tighten it back up. I'ts working for me so far.
Dave.

Hey guys, anyone still have the poor manual that was enclosed with the Lokar kickdown kit? I seem to have lost mine and it would be great if someone could scan it and email it to me or upload it here... thanks in advance!

Sorry
I have no way to scan my direction sheet. I got one from Lokar thru my E-Mail. Their E-Mail address is [email protected] or their web site is www.lokar.com/

Their directions leave a little to be desired tho. I finaley got mine to work after playing with it. read my last post. Good luck

Dave Christensen AKA barracudadave67

-
Back