lokar kickdown cable

-

volaredon

Reaction score
probably a horse that's been beat and driven into the mud a time or 3..... but I gotta ask....
First I am working on a /6 that I "super 6'd" with a factory intake, and a 318-spec BBD.... engine's running great, so far. I haven't moved it out of the garage, since the 2 bbl and engine transplant.
Gotta hook up the kickdown 1st.
My son has the Bouchillon setup on 2 vehicles (neither a /6) and (to me anyhow) it looks like a cobbled up contraption. I bought a Chinese Lokar 727 clone cable on Ebay, for like 1/5 the cost of an original Lokar cable. I haven't tried to use it yet. (other things gettin in the way of "work on truck" time at the moment, haha)
While looking on CL for "other things" a genuine Lokar cable for a 727 came up, new in the package? for right near what I paid for the imposter. New, still in package though package, though the packaging looks weathered/ "shelf worn".... old stock, I guess you'd say. I figure I can adapt something to hold the cable housing myself, that won't look as "cobbled" as I think the Bouchillon setup does (at least to me anyway) since original super 6 linkage is "unobtanium" at the moment. and even if I could find original super 6 stuff, most /6s were ahead of 904's. Mine has a 727 in it. (I don't think that will matter, but just sayin')

Of those who have used the "real thing" and those who have used the imposter Lokar cables, have you guys noticed any difference between them?
I mean, things like exhaust heat resistance, likeliness to break the internal cable, (or not), those sort of things.....

probably a horse that's been beat and driven into the mud a time or 3..... but I gotta ask....
First I am working on a /6 that I "super 6'd" with a factory intake, and a 318-spec BBD.... engine's running great, so far. I haven't moved it out of the garage, since the 2 bbl and engine transplant.
Gotta hook up the kickdown 1st.
My son has the Bouchillon setup on 2 vehicles (neither a /6) and (to me anyhow) it looks like a cobbled up contraption. I bought a Chinese Lokar 727 clone cable on Ebay, for like 1/5 the cost of an original Lokar cable. I haven't tried to use it yet. (other things gettin in the way of "work on truck" time at the moment, haha)
While looking on CL for "other things" a genuine Lokar cable for a 727 came up, new in the package? for right near what I paid for the imposter. New, still in package though package, though the packaging looks weathered/ "shelf worn".... old stock, I guess you'd say. I figure I can adapt something to hold the cable housing myself, that won't look as "cobbled" as I think the Bouchillon setup does (at least to me anyway) since original super 6 linkage is "unobtanium" at the moment. and even if I could find original super 6 stuff, most /6s were ahead of 904's. Mine has a 727 in it. (I don't think that will matter, but just sayin')

Of those who have used the "real thing" and those who have used the imposter Lokar cables, have you guys noticed any difference between them?
I mean, things like exhaust heat resistance, likeliness to break the internal cable, (or not), those sort of things.....
I've never used a fake one, but the real one has a teflon inner lining that keeps things smooth. Should obviously route it away from heat, but it does not need any sort of lubrication to work properly. In my case, it was a great solution when I changed intake & carb's. I'm using both the Lokar throttle & kickdown cables. Straight forward installation and easy adjustment.

I bought a Lokar cable on my car and I made my own from a bicycle brake cable on my truck. Both work well. Just riute away fromm heat sources.

Cley

Never thought about using a bike cable.
I have another intake and carb swap coming up, this one is on a 318 in a b body fury. I have actual factory kickdown linkage for a 4 bbl on a small block, (mine came off an 80s truck but should fit the b body fine). I may do a cable setup on that one too. Depends on how the one goes setting up on this super 6.

-
Back