long distance towing

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
so it looks like I will be moving at some point in the future to Texas and finally buying a house! probably in the Austin area. one thing I have been thinking about is how to get the Dart there? I could drive it but that would mean another trip back to pick it up since I am the only one who could also drive the rig, and also the gas cost for 1,700+ miles would suck. what I was thinking was just using my truck ('96 K1500) to tow it but I have never had to tow that long of a distance with a half ton truck. it has about a 8-9k tow rating but is that just pushing it to tow a 3,000 pound car on a car hauler over 1,700 miles? Johnny.

well i dont know what a k1500 is but i do know that my old d150 had 135000 miles on it and id say 50000 of them was towing.but thats a DODGE.lol. ya i know smart a$$$. yes if you have a good traler you should be fine...

Car and trailer shouldn't weigh much more than 5000 lbs. It should pull it fine, just keep your eyes wide open when towing and know that you can't accelerate, brake or maneuver like you could normally.

As long as the truck is setup properly to tow, good hitch with eq bars and electric brakes you'll be fine. I don't think there are too many hills between SJ and TX that would necessitate a trans cooler but it is hot out there and they are not difficult to add if you don't have one. I tow with an F150 and a 1500 GMC Suburban and don't have any issues.

the truck should be OK

Do you already have a trailer?

Is the car auto or manual?

Manual, get tow bar and flat tow it, auto, pull drive shaft then tow it.

Had a 74 Duster that was flat towed behind the motorhome all over the country. Just had to remove the drive shaft and put plug into the trans.

When towing just use your WITTs at all times...as in Where Is The Trailer. LOL

^^^^^^^^^^

LMAF
th_laughfall.gif

-
Back