Looked at a 73 340 dart sport today (Richmond Va)

-

jdg

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here so a little intro first... I do not have a performance Mopar (or anything for that matter right now!) but have always loved the a-body mopars. I grew up in another state in a small town with a Mopar dealership and remember many many 340 dusters (where are they now). Living in Va the last 12 years; much less rust.

Anyway I drove by this car yesterday and went back for a look today. Black, white stripes, rallys, auto with console, buckets. I decoded the vin on this site and it is a 340 car but I do not think it has the original engine and I am not sure how to decode that (did not get #'s except I did see "318" in the sequence on the front of the block). It has some rust around the rear wheelwells and the front footwells of the floors are rusted but the rest of the floors are great (no surface rust) as well as the frame. Interior is, well, shot. Still has the 8 1/4.

Seller is asking $2695. I will probably pass but if it was a 4 speed....
Any thoughts on the price, rarity etc? I have details if anyone else is interested.

welcome jdg! i looked at that car on friday! where are you at exactly? you don't have you location filled out in your signature. that car is a 318. it is a pretty rare car as well. probably 1 of 100 or so because of the many options it has. i decoded the entire fender tag on it allready. i will pass as well do to not having the original engine. if it did it would be sitting in my driveway now.

i talked to the guy already. i would offer 1500.00 as is. i think he would hedge a bit ,but would take it in the long run....

Cool thanks for the reply.

I am in Richmond, on the Chesterfield/Richmond line will have to update that.

So it is an original 340 car with a 318 thanks for confirming it. I brought the vin home but didn't take the fender tag info. I did notice an original looking 340 decal on the inner fender.

I should really get a truck (useful) before I think about dragging stuff like this (not useful but fun!) home but...oh well.
I was also thinking about $1000 or so less might be ok. I just happened to drive down that way since you sometimes see interesting stuff parked along that stretch. I should sell off all my Ford/Mustang stuff first!

Joel

yeah you never know what you might see through jeff davis. come to the spring mopar madness show in dinwiddie in april. you will have a blast, and maybe find what you are looking for.....

Good idea about Mopar Madness I will definitely do that. New Years resolution is to try to do some fun stuff this year other than work and working on the house.

I'd like to put together a 73-76 duster or dart sport with a 340/360 or stroker, w-2's, dual plane (painted), early 340 exh manifolds, stock type air cleaner, steel wheels and hubcaps and an 8 3/4. 833 would be fun too. Someday!

i'll bet you will see one around there for sure. there were a few for sale at the maryland show in november......ever cruise over to atlee in the summer?

I haven't gone to much of any local gatherings to be honest. There used to be a group of cars on Sat nights out in Centerville at the gas station/Bills bbq across from the Food Lion. Not sure of the one you mentioned in the Atlee area.

i used to go to centerville all the time before i got my demon. i only go now to the atlee square shopping center off of 301 on sat. nights now. there are usally around 75-120 cars there with a good night having 7-10 mopars. take 295 to rt.301 exit head towards hanover not richmond. it will be about 1/2 mile at best on the right at top of hill. can't miss it! runs from around april through oct. live dj, give aways ect.....

7demon2
I haven't been on here in a while! Where does the time go...
Anyway thanks for the info sounds like a big group @ Atlee and I will check it out.
Oh btw the Dart Sport is still sitting there with the original price on the window...will probably be there for a while...
With work and doing renovation on the house I haven't done anything else really.

Joel

-
Back