Looked at an old Duster today

-

TylerW

Reaction score
I heard about a Duster for sale in the area recently so I went out to look it over.

1971 /6, auto, AC PS GY9 car. Last tagged 1984.

The good: doors, glass, interior not too bad(TX9) everything is there underhood with the exception of carb/intake, 3 watermelon hubcaps, nice front bumPer, solid rockers and cowl. Good tailight panel.

The bad: Hood, front fenders, trunk lid are throwaways due to rust. Spare tire well almost totally gone, top of fuel tank rusted away. Top has a depression from a falling branch and there's old poorly repaired damage to the left side top at the C pillar.

The car has been sitting there so long the old bias-ply tires are rotted apart, and with it being almost on the ground I fear the bottom of the car is thin at best.

I offered $300, which was probably being charitable. The seller wouldn't name a price, but acted as if $300 was disappointing. I left things with them to email me if they decided to accept that.

Attachments

• Duster1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 274
  • Duster2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Duster3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 265
No plans, other than just finding out what kind of shape it's truly in. It's spent more time off the road than on.

I already have a 1975 Duster and a '71 Valiant, so not exactly looking for a "project".

Yeah that was a charitable offer for sure. It's disappointing to sell any car for $300. Some people just don't have an understanding of how much time and money it would take just to get that car going again. You are a good guy for making the attempt to save that car.

Good luck on getting the car, I hope they take your offer. It's going to take a lot of money to get the car started so hopefully they see it that way. It would look gorgeous all fixed up.

Looks and sounds like $300 was a fair offer considering it hasn't been moved in years. You could make out and you could be wasting your time but for $300, think of the fun you'll have figuring out which one.

-
Back