Looked over a Barracuda today.

-

omahamoparguy

Reaction score
well I just looked at the 67 cuda that a fellow workmate (and friend) has for sale and I think I am going to buy it. He only wants 700 dollars.
The car is basically apart, the parts are stored in his garage. Now the bad news; it has some rust. Not the worst I have seen or anything like that but some problem spots. The bottom parts of the fenders,to about 3 inches up are rusted, of course there is rust in the floor pans and rust in the trunk floor. also, one of the inner fenders is rusted where the upper a arm is attached to it (in that area). wish I had pics but I did not bring a camera. And of course there is the obligatory rust in the quarter panels. the passenger side is worse than the other side. Believe it or not, the ouiter wheel houses dont look too bad (just the very bottom, bottom flange that attaches to the quarter are gone)
the good news, the doors a re really solid, there is no rust in the glass seating area (channel ?). not many dents at all, nice grill and other trim. the hood is really nice and the deck lid has only some minor rust. the rockers are intact with only minor rust on the very bottom.
One spot that has me worried a little is the rear valance, the part where the liscense and backup lights are. it has some major bondo in it. I dont think it is rusted out but it is out of shape.
Parts missing: rear window - rear axle (i got one though) - front windshield and the bucket seats
So basically, this will be a major amount of work. I think I am goint to build a rotisserre for it
Stuff that I thought was unusual: It has a "performance gauge" (vacuum gauge) in the dash , a really cool day/night rearview mirror, a little rubber flap, squarish, on the front of the door (door post inner area, what in the hell is this for?)
Any thought or comments are welcome. Im gonna need all the help I can get!!

IMO, it looks to be a nice price. The body work isn´t that expensive when you do the work yourself, I do get quite satisfied to do bodywork and think is a fun job to weld and shape the body metall.
It´s those small bits and pieces that add up the costs of the build.
What engine and tranny does it come with?

It has a non original 318 (out of the car in his storage) however, the original 273 exhaust manifolds are with the motor (a plus I think).
forgot to mention; no tranny either. Car was an original 273 floor shift automatic. (original console looks real nice too}

The really expensive parts is a complete grill, if it could be found in a nice shape at all.So if it comes with a nice looking grill it´s a big plus.
Also the trunk moldings is expensive, although not as expensive as the grill.
The same goes for the instrument bezels.

But it all depends on what level you´ll put the restoration of the car on.
Would be great if you could share some pics with us.

Sounds like a really good price for something that is basically complete. If you already plan to take it apart, its a bonus thats already done for you, makes inspection easier. Rear valance is no big deal, there are repops out there. My guess for that flap on the door is for equalizing air pressure when you shut the door?? Get back out there with the camera and take some pics!!

-
Back