LOOKIN FOR PISTONS (318)

-

73SwungOut

Reaction score
Wuts up everybody. Fairly new here couldn't find my other posts to respond to. So I just dropped off my block and stock heads at the machine shop. Trying to get opinions on the best pistons. Shop said they going down .30.
It's a 73 dart swinger 318. Heads are the original stock. Also looking for a good cam to throw good power. Was really looking Into a BIG MUTHA THUMPR CAM for ever now but I've been hearing they are poor in performance and great in sound. And shouts out to RRR for the idea of the stroker crank. Just added it to my next purchase list.. very pricey but ohhh baby!!! So hope to get some good options on pistons and a cam and I guess the one brought up most will be the one to purchase. Thanx guys and thank you to all who helped me out on my last post.. LETSGO!! (Photo is some of the candy going into the machine)

20230304_220341.jpg

Kb-167 are zero deck, kb-399 are domed. Need to know your cylinder head volume to calculate your static compression ratio. Is this an 87 octane motor? Premium 91 or 93?

If you're seriously going to go with a stroker crank, just get the whole kit with matched pistons. It'll already be pre-balanced for ya.
And BTW, your stock 318 heads ain't gonna cut it with a stroker crank. Match the kit to your head cc.
Search

I'd use the KB"s at zero deck as racerdan mentioned and use the head gasket thickness to adjust the appropriate compression #. If your keeping the stock heads, try to find a cam in the 212-218 @ .050 range depending on your rear gear and torque converter choice. I hope the intake in that box is a Performer? that's really all you'll need.

If you're seriously going to go with a stroker crank, just get the whole kit with matched pistons. It'll already be pre-balanced for ya.
And BTW, your stock 318 heads ain't gonna cut it with a stroker crank. Match the kit to your head cc.
Search
seriously if going stroker buy the kit!! lot cheaper and easier than piecing it together your self and itll come already balanced!!! but if your going stroker youll need better heads than 318s, alot better!!! lotta folks hate on the big muther thumper cams cause a cam spect to yur build will run better but nuttun wronge with a thumper if its what you want , IMM and joe sherman both have made mad power with them! i got the big mutha hydrolic roller cam im gonna use in my roller LA/magnum head build and see how it dose my self if im not happy ill send it off for a re grind!

Wuts up everybody. Fairly new here couldn't find my other posts to respond to. So I just dropped off my block and stock heads at the machine shop. Trying to get opinions on the best pistons. Shop said they going down .30.
It's a 73 dart swinger 318. Heads are the original stock. Also looking for a good cam to throw good power. Was really looking Into a BIG MUTHA THUMPR CAM for ever now but I've been hearing they are poor in performance and great in sound. And shouts out to RRR for the idea of the stroker crank. Just added it to my next purchase list.. very pricey but ohhh baby!!! So hope to get some good options on pistons and a cam and I guess the one brought up most will be the one to purchase. Thanx guys and thank you to all who helped me out on my last post.. LETSGO!! (Photo is some of the candy going into the machine)

View attachment 1716060429
I wouldn't say those cams were "poor", there are just better choices, especially for the small cube engines. The big Thumpr cams can just kill bottom end torque in a small cube engine. I would look at one of the smaller Lunati Voodoo cams, if going flat tappet.

I'd use the KB"s at zero deck as racerdan mentioned and use the head gasket thickness to adjust the appropriate compression #. If your keeping the stock heads, try to find a cam in the 212-218 @ .050 range depending on your rear gear and torque converter choice. I hope the intake in that box is a Performer? that's really all you'll need.
I agree. The KB 167 would be a good choice if retaining the stock stroke.

Search
Hey thanx for answering back... The stroker would be another project down the line along with a new set of heads ... Maybe a year or 2 later..Way out of my budget right now with the $800 I just dropped at the machine shop today.. The dude just told me to look for some pistons at .30 so I just scatched my head and said uhhh ok...lol

Kb-167 are zero deck, kb-399 are domed. Need to know your cylinder head volume to calculate your static compression ratio. Is this an 87 octane motor? Premium 91 or 93?
Yooo wuts up racerdan. It runs on octane. As for measuring the shop was doing alot of measuring and all I remember was the guy told me to find pistons that were .30 so i guess I'm just looking for that number and a good bang for the buck piston

Hey thanx for answering back... The stroker would be another project down the line along with a new set of heads ... Maybe a year or 2 later..Way out of my budget right now with the $800 I just dropped at the machine shop today.. The dude just told me to look for some pistons at .30 so I just scatched my head and said uhhh ok...lol
Here ya go. Just posted today in our ads.
[FOR SALE] - High Performance 318 pistons

A stoker kit for a 318 is going to run you about $2K. If it was me, I'd keep the stock stroke and use the KB167's, put 1.88/1.60 valves in the heads and have them pocket ported/bowl blended and a Comp Cams 268H or something similar from Howard's Cams. If you know for sure you want a stroker, a 360 kit is quite a bit cheaper than the 318 kit (at least the ones I could find) so it would be almost as cheap to find a decent 360 core and build that - plus you'd get the better flowing 360 heads and a few more cubic inches.

Hopefully your machinist has a little more input then "just find some .030 pistons". :eek:
Yeah he broke it down for me for like an hour trying to make me understand his procedures and his best options but i was lost in space as soon as he started talking numbers and rhis and that. Lol So he told me just to find that size or he'd order them for me but when he told me he specialized in Chevy motors I wanted to have a chat with you all before I ask him to search for me...

Gotcha. I honestly believe you're going to have to up your budget at the shop. Just a bore, deck surface and checking the line bore will eat up most of $800. Not to mention the assy. charge which i presume they will do also. Then there's the heads? And i'd probably want to get him some valve springs when you decide on that. The Comp 901's would work well with the milder cam # i recommended earlier. See where i'm going with this. Good luck with everything. Just be persistent and you'll get her done. :thumbsup:

-
Back