Looking at a 5.9 Magnum engine..

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to think out loud. I was just down at a local salvage yard and noticed a ton of 5.2/5.9 magnum engines in trucks/vans, so curiously I asked what they get for them and I was surprised that they are only 350ish with a warranty or under 300 without a warranty. And they told me that coming up is a half price day, so I could get a complete Magnum engine for less then 200 bucks.. Right now Ive been focusing on getting my 64 Valiant wagon back on the road after switching to a 65 a833 4 speed, disc brakes, and an 8.25 rear. But seeing that I can pick up a 5.9mag so cheap, even if I just put it to the side and planned for a v8 swap down the road it doesn't seem like a bad way to go. I know Im going to need a few things anyway (proper exhaust manifolds, center link, motor mounts, carb intake manfold, dual exhaust, electric fuel pump, 360 car oil pan, bell housing, flywheel, clutch, ect). I think it would be a good trade up from my slant six with a 4 barrel, to a mag motor.. Any thoughts?

I picked mine up for $200 and I could have put the needed mods to stuff it in a duster and it would have been fine.
The motor still had cross hatches in cylinders.
Buy the cleanest one you can find.
If you use a la style timing chain cover you can run a manual pump.

I actually would like to use the serpentine belt setup.

I am not sure if the la car oil pan will work with the serpentine set up.
Go to magnum swaps.com

Now I'm curious about what flywheel to use, being that the 5.9 mag is balanced differently then a La360. I would like to use a 10.5 inch clutch, and a standard car v8 bell housing. Being that the engine will be carbed instead of fuel injected, I'm hoping this will be an easier deal.

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71263&page=5

That post has lots of info on the flywheel issue. See my results on post 53.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178065&highlight=magnum+flywheel

This is the shorter version on this forum.

Bottom line, my results show there is a difference in balance between LA and Magnum flywheels but not likely enough to matter.

Thank you! So what your saying is a 130 tooth La360 flywheel is "close enough" for a street/strip car?

They are weighed different.
McLeod sell a flywheel that takes bolt on balance weights.
I have one for mine.
The nice thing is if you change engines at a later date, you just by a different weight

I actually would like to use the serpentine belt setup.

I'm doing just that, but in a late B body, a '79 Magnum.
It seems to me that the fan is moved back a bit. Shorter water pump?

I am not sure if the la car oil pan will work with the serpentine set up.
Go to magnum swaps.com

The oil pan has nothin to do with the acc. Drives on the engine. He just needs a car oil pan.

Thank you! So what your saying is a 130 tooth La360 flywheel is "close enough" for a street/strip car?

If it were my engine, based on what I discovered I would bet that I got it right and I would use one. I might do a minor balance adjustment for peace of mind. That said, without having done it, I would not recommend it for you because of the possibility I got it wrong somehow.

If you read the moparchats thread, you'll see that a circle track racer balanced his in a way that is a fair bit off from the results I obtained and his engine lived fine revving to 5000 for many hours.

I laid out my method in detail so people can draw their own conclusions.

-
Back