Looking at a '70 Charger R/T clone Saturday

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Fully restored by owner over an 8 year period.

Charger 500 in R/T tribute trim. 440 engine, 727 transmission, 323 rear end.

4000 miles since restoration completed.

There was some rust above the rear wheel wells and the trunk pan but it has been repaired and a new trunk pan welded in. The only thing the car needs right now is some electrical work on the instrument cluster, the dash lights went out and I haven’t attempted to fix it. The engine was built by Bruce Standeven in Falkland and has about 450 hp he said. It has 6 pack pistons and rods, is balanced and blueprinted, has a Comp Xtreme Energy XE274H cam kit, has HD oil pump and Edlebrook aluminum water pump, Mopar Preformance Aluminum intake, and new 850 cfm Edlebrook carb.. The rear end is an 8.75 with 323 gears, not a sure grip. Please be aware the car is a Charger 500, not an R/T, it is a clone R/t only, not numbers matching. The restoration is a DIY project also, not a pro shop frame-off
The electric issue began when I sent the instrument cluster away for repairs. Got a new speed and tic, toc, tac and recalibrated and refaced the other gauges. When I reinstalled it the dash lights didn’t work. The feed comes from the headlight switch the dash dimmer and then to the fuse box. The line is dead at the fuse box but if you manually feed the line back to the lights they come on. Thus the problem is probably in the wire from the headlight switch to the dimmer, or in the line from the dimmer to the fuse box. I don’t think it will be a big expense to fix it and I already would have given it a try if I was feeling better.
The front control arms are tubular aftermarket items, along with .960 torsion bars and all poly bushings. This really stiffened up the front suspension as it had a real bad tendency for the front to wallow and flutter around with turns. It rides and handles like a pro race car now but the hard suspension makes it pretty noisy over bumps in the road. It has Hemi rear springs from Mopar Performance and Edlebrook shocks all around. If it turns out you don’t like the ride it’s pretty easy to switch back in the original torsion bars.
I have had the car for ten years and bought it as a retirement project. Worked on it during the winter and drove it during the summers. Am selling it due to health issues. I have $45,000.00 into it but I realize it’s not worth that much. It’s a driver and not show quality. $30G is OK but I hope you will come down to look at it. Bring a pickup because I saved all the numbers matching parts in case some one wants to change it back someday (there’s a big load including a rear end and transmission). It very reliable and you shouldn’t have any concern with driving it home to the Quesnel/Williams Lake area. It gets about 12 miles per gallon.
The big item is the original differential. Then the tranny, I have the original A/C system components, the original suspension parts, set of wheels and tires, original intake manifold, and a bunch of misc stuff – original steering box, fuel tank sender unit, sealed beams, decal kit, original Carter carb, Edlebrook carb tuning kit, and a bunch of stuff. I didn’t throw anything away, I kept everything I took off the car that was still serviceable.
$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

Now before anyone posts about comparing US prices to Canadian prices....

A real R/T in Canada is $50k-$60k. So that will always be out of my price range. And sure that a '70 Charger might only be $24,000 in the US, but once I get that to Canada that price balloons to $32,000! I checked with a survivor '70 R/T in the US I found sadly.

$24,000 USD = $26,400 CDN
$26,400 CDN + 12% Taxes = $29,600 CDN

And there is still brokerage, shipping, and inspection fees on top of that. I don't know the prices in the US, can a person find a perfectly restored 100% 2nd Gen charger in the US for $20,000

But think of this charger as buying a $22,000 USD car in the US and paying the exchange rate, taxes, and shipping costs on. In your minds is this car a $22,000 USD car?

*Yawn* Chargers bore me, see them all the time, over-played. That doesn't stop it from being worth a mint. I say 15K probably.

that is a sweet car. It needs a real good detail to get rid of the dead pigment, I love Cragars but something needs to be done to the wheels and I'm sure the engine compartment could use some detailing. I would check the quarters closely before I jumped in and DROVE home.
Grammas didn't drive Chargers...
R/T tribute- bonus!

Those dash clusters were Notorious for electrical issues , when i purchased me 70 Charger way back in 1981. it was a roller , and a whole bunch of parts.And i remember dealing with the issues, but it was all worth it i paid only 1200.00 for the car , and a real R/T S/E 440 Auto car . It was bought new at Chudds in Gimli Manitoba .Good luck with buying your car .

Attachments

• Rickey Car (800x538) (640x430).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 126
Where I am in the US the answer would probably be yes. The color isn't my favorite but with all the additional parts I'd do the deal. Just my opinion

check out the prices on b-bodies site...which you probably did, and 20,000 doesn't seem out of the way, even state side that money doesn't buy a lot of charger

The funny part is if I buy the car, I don't have a pickup for the parts. My brother is giving me a ride down in his beater Honda Civic. He said he'd just toss the transmission in his trunk and fill his back seat with the other parts :p

Just got this in an email today, what are the odds?

Have a 1970 Charger,2 yr old paint sublime green . No rust,automatic,400 big block,being driven on nice days,no mechanical problems,no electrical problems,no sracking or peeling paint. Has 8.75 diff,posi Beautilul head turner,new interior ad mutch more. Price $ 26500.00

-
Back