Looking at a 71' Demon

-

Newf

Reaction score
Hi All,

I looked at a 71' Demon today born with a 340. There is no engine/trans and he is asking between $2500-3000. I'm thinking of offering $1800 max $2000 for a rolling chassis. Does this sound reasonable? I don't have any pics as the car has been dismantled but is complete interior/exterior. There is rust on drivers side lower quarter and top front skirts. It has original paint, Hemi orange. Front fenders, trunk and floor seem solid. The doors are rust free and have been stored inside with front fenders. Interior seats, bumpers and grill/lights have also been stored inside. There is no hood though with the car, does anyone know if/where I can find a replacement?

Your thoughts?

Joe

Hi All,

I looked at a 71' Demon today born with a 340. There is no engine/trans and he is asking between $2500-3000. I'm thinking of offering $1800 max $2000 for a rolling chassis. Does this sound reasonable? I don't have any pics as the car has been dismantled but is complete interior/exterior. There is rust on drivers side lower quarter and top front skirts. It has original paint, Hemi orange. Front fenders, trunk and floor seem solid. The doors are rust free and have been stored inside with front fenders. Interior seats, bumpers and grill/lights have also been stored inside. There is no hood though with the car, does anyone know if/where I can find a replacement?

Your thoughts?Joe

I paid 3500 for a complete 71 Demon... pretty much rust free.... Mine was a 318 automatic car... The mice love them! anyway... the Dart hood is the same. It shoud be an easy find.

they sell hoods here: http://www.usbody.com/

your problem will be getting quarters welded in. most body shops will not touch that kind of work... if you cannot do it, find a friend that can, or you will have to get very lucky to find a place that will. they cost $$$$ too.

i would only offer $1500 max. it's gonna cost you 3g to get it on the road probably. engine + trans. you may be able to find a cheap 318 or 360 + trans. but still, when they are dismantled it's a big project.

your problem will be getting quarters welded in. most body shops will not touch that kind of work... if you cannot do it, find a friend that can, or you will have to get very lucky to find a place that will. they cost $$$$ too.

i would only offer $1500 max. it's gonna cost you 3g to get it on the road probably. engine + trans. you may be able to find a cheap 318 or 360 + trans. but still, when they are dismantled it's a big project.

I have a 400 that I want to stroke as well as a 727TF 4 speed that I got with a 440 if that will work. I was thinking of going in with a $1500 offer like you said. One bonus is that I am a welder of 13 years although I haven't welded much on cars I used to build truck service bodies and they are fabricated out of pretty thin sheetmetal 12-18 gauge. I have a mig welder setup with gas and .030 wire. That should suffice. Like you said the panels are $$$ though. Thanks for the responses.

Joe

you have a welder???
<<< loading the duster on a rollback time for a roadtrip to saskatchewan!
hahaha

$2k for a 340 demon with orig paint and fairly solid by your description is a fair price. Hard to find up here in solid shape.

LOL that's Fort Saskatchewan but close enough. haha

Central Alberta eh Joe, that's a good price 1.5-2K if all the parts are their. While you're in the welding mode don't forget the subframe connectors especially if you're going to use that 400. Talk to Kimmer for a hood he'd probably scrounge ya up one. I have an 189 oil pan you'll need for that 400 or 440 and a couple bare/stock 906 heads if you're interested. Or you could just say screw it and buy my 71 383 Demon instead.:D:D:D

Central Alberta eh Newf, that's a good price 1.5-2K if all the parts are their. While you're in the welding mode don't forget the subframe connectors especially if you're going to use that 400. Talk to Kimmer for a hood he'd probably scrounge ya up one. I have an 189 oil pan you'll need for that 400 or 440 and a couple bare/stock 906 heads if you're interested. Or you could just say screw it and buy my 71 383 Demon instead.:D:D:D

Wow over 6000 posts. Been around here for a while eh? Are you really selling that Demon? I never heard of Kimmer, Is he in central? I'm pretty new to the Mopar world but I think I'm hooked. 189 oil pan, is that so it can fit into an A Bod? I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks for the tip on sub frame connectors.

P.S. What's a queer Newfie?......One who likes a woman more than a BEER! Lol.

Cheers b'y,

Joe

Quarters, only AMD fit, about $700 each. then maybe trunk extensions, $80 each, etc. sounds ok, but what you will find.No drive train? ???. By the way, I priced shipping to Canada today, for a member here. What the hell? Canada makes it's $ by duties? and anything coming across the border? The shipping was more than the worth of the parts.

If you can swing it, buy one done..Body work, paint, parts and drive train, wheels and so on..you will be over $20,000....there's a few on here for sale..

If you can swing it, buy one done..Body work, paint, parts and drive train, wheels and so on..you will be over $20,000....there's a few on here for sale..

I like to learn the hard way, thanks for the tip though. I won't say I wasn't warned! LOL

Good luck if you decide to buy,,,sounds like a big undertaking. I think if you get it cheap enough it will be worth the try. The more Alberta mopars the better.

Good luck if you decide to buy,,,sounds like a big undertaking. I think if you get it cheap enough it will be worth the try. The more Alberta mopars the better.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, nuttin left but the grinding now. It's a done deal! I know I'm looking at 3-5 years $20K and the biggest challenge of my life, but I would rather do it this way or no way. For me it's all about the journey. I'm sure when I get into this elbows deep I'll be singing a different tune....so be it.

I am now the proud owner of a lifeless 71' Dodge Demon Hemi-Orange with white stripes(I may go to black on the stripes but keep the orange. I'll post pics as soon as I get some. Thanks for all the warm wishes and advice on making this decision. Give me a year or so and I'll probably get an award for the most questions posted on FABO Lol! Cheers all.

Thanks again,

Joe

Take a look at AMD 1/4 skins from www.521restorations.com (they have a pricing on the website and give a discount to moparts and fabo memebers)

I just bought a set for one of my Demon's and they weren't too bad. I've bought all of my AMD sheetmetal through them. And Yes it fits very nice.

Full 1/4's are only needed if you are replacing all the way up to the roof line. Otherwise the 1/4 skins will work for what you described.

Can u find a "welder"...in Alberta really? Theres more rig rockets in Alberta per capita than anywhere else in the world.LOL Ive got a line on a couple of donor cars if you need bro.

Darin (in Ft Sask)

Best of Luck! Since you are starting from scratch get the stuff done you'll want later, mini-tub & subframe connectors etc. A great build to follow is 76orangewagon, he has done some excellent fabbing and might have some ideas you'll like. There are many other fellas with mega talent too. My vote is white stripes on the Orange, looks great and most guys have the black. Now post up some pics of where you are starting at :happy1:

Sounds like a uniquely colored car with the white stripes. What color was the interior? Could look really cool with white roof / white interior.

Grant

Best of Luck! Since you are starting from scratch get the stuff done you'll want later, mini-tub & subframe connectors etc. A great build to follow is 76orangewagon, he has done some excellent fabbing and might have some ideas you'll like. There are many other fellas with mega talent too. My vote is white stripes on the Orange, looks great and most guys have the black. Now post up some pics of where you are starting at :happy1:

Thanks for the tips and I think the original white on orange idea is starting to grow on me already. I'll be sure to look into the links on Mini-tub & sub frame connectors.

Cheers,

Joe

Can u find a "welder"...in Alberta really? Theres more rig rockets in Alberta per capita than anywhere else in the world.LOL Ive got a line on a couple of donor cars if you need bro.

Darin (in Ft Sask)

Thanks Darin, I may definitely need some donar parts can you pm me your number? For sure a hood, and rear bench seat, depending on how original I go I may replace the roof.
Right now it has an aftermarket sunroof. Looks in good shape though, I would say it was done professionally.

Cheers,

Joe

hmm, not sure about body shops down south, but here in canada, ANY body shop will door quarters/floors/roof skins, etc. they love working on older cars,

ive done quarters/trunk floor/apillers/trunk ext on 4 cars now.

and if your going to do quarters, buck up and get the AMD FULL quarters, all facotry welds are utalized, and they are thick gages, fit like a glove.

ive had lots of problems with jobber skins

and if your going to do quarters, buck up and get the AMD FULL quarters, all facotry welds are utalized, and they are thick gages, fit like a glove.

ive had lots of problems with jobber skins

I like that idea, less warpage too. Thanks for the tips.

Joe

Quarters, only AMD fit, about $700 each. then maybe trunk extensions, $80 each, etc. sounds ok, but what you will find.No drive train? ???. By the way, I priced shipping to Canada today, for a member here. What the hell? Canada makes it's $ by duties? and anything coming across the border? The shipping was more than the worth of the parts.

Classic Industries won't work?? I thought the quarters were interchangeable with the Duster? Then again, could be wrong. Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out.

Joe

-
Back