Looking at a 73 truck anything special to look at

-

cuda6867

Reaction score
I am going to be looking at a 73 d200 extra cab truck this afternoon, possible trade for my 64 dart wagon. Is there any thing to look at specifically on this year truck, rust spots that I should check for or other know issues. Thanks in advance, I'll try to post a link to the ad if I can figure out how to do it.

Keith

Cracks at the Wiper Cowl (behind the fenders, if you can get a look in that area), they're not a big deal and can be fixed easily, it's just a problem area.

Crack at the frame/steering box (this only applies to 4x4's that have been Converted to Crossover Steering, it applies to much stress to the steering box mount area and cracks the frame)

Cracks at the Core Support/Body Mount area. Early (1972 - early 74) Trucks had the front body mounts at the far outer corners of the core support and were known to rip the mounts out of the support from flexing. Mid-74 to 1993 all trucks had the mounts moved in to the center of the core support (mounts were centered over the crossmember on the frame). Both sets of mounting holes should be on your core support & frame/crossmember to convert it to the 74+ layout.

Rust at the bottom of the core support (big issue on all 1972-1993 Dodge trucks)

Hinge Pins may need replaced, as they wear out the doors will sag and won't close properly.

Ammeter....nuff said

In your area rust shouldn't be a problem I would check for blow by(pull the oil cap off for this) and drive it to see if the trans shifts like it should.after it gets to running temp stand on it tell it shifts and when you get back see if the dipstick is still in its hole if it has pushed out it will have a lot of blow by.I would expect it to have a lot of miles on it and I don't think that's bad if it was taken care of.while you have the oil cap off run your finger around the inside of the valve cover to see how much sludge is in there.and see if there any down around the springs I would expect a little but I have also seen them where you can't see the spring to...I always run a can if trans fluid with oil after changing it.will clean it up like new.and remember its a dodge and I have never had a bad one.I have seen many of them go well over 300,000 and still running!!..hope this is a help good luck with the buy,and don't forget to hagel,most prices are set with that in mind if he wants 1000.00 he will more than likely sell for 500.00 cash, talks............Artie

Cool thank you guys for the input, can't wait to go look at this truck, bitter sweet to may be get rid of my wagon, but truck would be a step up for me and I could concentrate on my 67 cuda

As stated rust should not be an issue but check around the entire rain gutter paying attention to the areas at either corner of the windshield above and below the gutter, those body style/years trucks are notorious for rusting at the rain gutters.

If the plastic gas tank is cracked...which is common...there are no replacements or substitutes because of the filler location.

The frame crack at the steering box is not 4WD only. My 2WD cracked and the truck has never been abused.

Thank you guys for all the replies, had to reschedule looking at the truck till the morning. I'll let you all know what happens. Especially appreciate the info about the steering box area and fuel tank concern.

It also has the wrong grill in it. Club Cab. Get it right. lol

Retrofitting the later tank should be simple enough.

The '72 and '73 models have the filler located on the side of the cab and the fill pipe enters at the bottom edge of the tank. Later models have the filler on the side of the box and the tube enters the tank at the top. The only way to use a later tank is to also use a later box or to modify the '73 box sheet metal, and that leaves you with the decision of what to do with the unused filler on the cab.

Possible, yes...simple, no.

The '72 and '73 models have the filler located on the side of the cab and the fill pipe enters at the bottom edge of the tank. Later models have the filler on the side of the box and the tube enters the tank at the top. The only way to use a later tank is to also use a later box or to modify the '73 box sheet metal, and that leaves you with the decision of what to do with the unused filler on the cab.

Possible, yes...simple, no.

The in cab filler tube was actually in use until at least 1977 on regular trucks and it continued to be used until 1980 on some Cab & Chassis trucks. Though by 75-76 the in bed filler tube was becoming more common.

My 75 D300 Dumptruck and 75 W300 ClubCab Wrecker/Towtruck have the In-Cab filler tube (the D300 has an In-Cab gas tank and the W300 has the filler tube running through the rear wall of the cab to the gas tank under the Wrecker Bed) and one of my friends has a 78 D200 Crew Cab Shortbed with a factory In Cab tank behind the rear seat. That's actually the tank out of my 73 D100 parts truck, his original tank was Swiss cheese.

I should have specified that it's the tank that's different, and '72 and '73 are unique. If the later model truck has dual tanks, the cab-side filler is for the tank behind the seat. On the '73, both tanks are filled from the same location. I don't know if there is a filler from a later truck that could be adapted to the '73 sheet metal and a later tank.

There is also a difference between club cab and standard cab tanks in the '73. The venting system is different. I have a club cab tank on my standard cab and the original venting setup makes filling the tank a tedious operation.

I've drawn up plans for a custom tank for mine, and the only estimate I have so far is $500 for an aluminum version. I doubt I can find someone to make it for less, but I'll keep looking for a while.

Decent looking truck and I've always liked that paint scheme. Like an above poster said, check the rain gutters. They're the main culprit of rust on trucks around here. I personally think the price is a little high. I'd offer him $2500 and see what he says. I don't see many people around here jumping at that truck so I doubt it'll go quickly anyway. He brings up the whole nada guide deal which is never correct for these older vehicles. He thinks the average retail price is almost $6 grand for these trucks? Yeah right.

that's a nice truck.frame cracks around box are deffenantly on 2wd trucks...seen a bunch,also rust in the top is in a lot of club cabs at the front and sides..a lot of times it'll be on the inside.

good luck

This is the correct grill for that truck. They are difficult to find, but I like them a lot better than the later grills.

Attachments

• D100.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 122
Thank you everyone for all the replies, deal kinda fell through, guy was having some carb issues with it and never was able to hook up and look at it. He told me today that it was getting looked at by a mechanic and he may just keep it. Is what it is and now I'll just keep working away on both the wagon and the cuda. Sure would like a truck just not in a place to buy one, so I was hoping the trade might go thru. But like a said thanks again for all the comments and info, I really enjoy this site :D:D:D

-
Back