Looking at a used small block tomorrow...

-
Yes, additional cost for an intake and an electric pump. Which, if I cannot find a decent LA, I can go that route and sell my intake to recoup some costs. But if I can find an LA, I got the intake to match and less time.

I'll be bringing my boyfriend as a second set of eyes for me as well lol. Portland to here is about a 2 1/2 hour drive, not exactly a small trip. Since I've gotten burned by the last three engines I've torn apart (fortunately none were bought), I'm in no rush and I'll walk if it's no good. It's gotta be in clean shape.

Yes, additional cost for an intake and an electric pump. Which, if I cannot find a decent LA, I can go that route and sell my intake to recoup some costs. But if I can find an LA, I got the intake to match and less time.

I'll be bringing my boyfriend as a second set of eyes for me as well lol. Portland to here is about a 2 1/2 hour drive, not exactly a small trip. Since I've gotten burned by the last three engines I've torn apart (fortunately none were bought), I'm in no rush and I'll walk if it's no good. It's gotta be in clean shape.
well, if you got engines for free, you hardly got burned... LOL I bet it's a good engine.

well, if you got engines for free, you hardly got burned... LOL I bet it's a good engine.

Only burned in my time and frustration I guess lol. I was only supposed to rebuild my slant six block, turns out the two blocks I had were garbage. Then we had this 360 just sitting there,and my project spiraled lol! I am glad I went through it first to find the issues it had before sticking it in my car.

That's why I like the U-Pull-It Magnum Motors you not only get roller lifters and hardened valve seats for running unleaded fuel you get a 6-month warranty. I mean at that price once you have all the stuff you could be getting a new motor every 6 months for $200 which would never happen....

Look under the oil cap for chocolate sludge, check and ask if it was ran with water or coolant, deal breakers for me right there

One time i found a rebuilt 360 on the sidewalk, on the motor stand on trash day...........oh wait that was a cheby 350....

Going to be looking at a used engine and I want to make sure I'll be checking it all important things before I make a decision. Also, what should I offer the guy? I know it'll depend on condition.

The guy says it is a 360 that came out of a 76 Dodge pickup, possibly a Power Wagon model. Says it ran when pulled (yeah yeah sure) and it's been sitting in his garage for 4 years. The truck was in a roll over (???). I'm mostly into it for being a functional engine that can get new gaskets and things like a water pump and carb and run it. I'm thinking of pulling spark plugs to check condition, and renting a video scope from work to peek inside to see cylinder walls and piston tops. I'm going to maybe pull a valve cover to check for any sludge. Breaker bar to make sure the engine is still free to move. Am I missing anything? Thanks for the input!

Here's how to identify the engine, read this thread:

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

It is tomorrow, dork. lol
It was for you...
Screenshot_20190306-214711.png

If you do purchase it, check out the crankshaft. When a motor sits with out being rotated the weight of the rotating assembly will embed in the main bearings and maybe the crankshaft.

-
Back