Looking at purchasing a 1966 Dodge Panel Van

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to purchase this Dodge d100 panel van. The truck is something I haven't ever seen before. At first glance it looks like a pickup with a cap on the back. But if you look closely you can see that the bed and cab are one piece. I'm trying to figure out if this was a factory built truck for South Africa, or if this was done by an outside company? I have searched everywhere with absolutely zero luck on info. My best friend is in SA for the next month and a half working with a customer of mine, and they are going to look at the truck tomorrow. Anyone know anything about these??

Attachments

• $_20 (7).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 391
  • $_20 (9).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 328
  • $_20 (8).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 310
  • $_20 (10).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 288
dodge never put together a uni body truck for any market that im aware of. that was fords idea . my guess is it is somebodies custom deal. definitely unique

it looks too clean to be a custom job and since it has a connection to south Africa I would say it could be a factory assembled vehicle.

Its the same as some people will say that they stopped making ramchargers in the early 90s, Yet you can get a 2001 in Mexico. Different countries, different rules and different manufacturing techniques based on local resources and labor.

I think what you have there could be something that was purpose made like that by the assembly line, but an assembly line far, far away from the states

Attachments

• 01rchargerbybcarriedo_1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 343
I would say it is a custom job. Those style of oval windows in the back of the shell didn't come to market until the late 70s.

Any shots of the inside of the box? Underside shots? Pictures from the back?

can always call the seller and see if he/she knows anything .....it is exactly 8 p.m. in south Africa right now and the country code is +27...... easy peasy

it looks too clean to be a custom job and since it has a connection to south Africa I would say it could be a factory assembled vehicle.

Its the same as some people will say that they stopped making ramchargers in the early 90s, Yet you can get a 2001 in Mexico. Different countries, different rules and different manufacturing techniques based on local resources and labor.

I think what you have there could be something that was purpose made like that by the assembly line, but an assembly line far, far away from the states
I totally agree.
I would say it is a custom job. Those style of oval windows in the back of the shell didn't come to market until the late 70s.

Any shots of the inside of the box? Underside shots? Pictures from the back?
I believe the truck was a factory purpose build. I bet the windows were added back in the 70's or 80's when the truck was turned in to more of a shaggin waggin instead of a work truck. The guys are going to take more pictures of it when they go see it. I am really curious what the inside and rear look myself.

I totally agree.

I believe the truck was a factory purpose build. I bet the windows were added back in the 70's or 80's when the truck was turned in to more of a shaggin waggin instead of a work truck. The guys are going to take more pictures of it when they go see it. I am really curious what the inside and rear look myself.

As a seller I would have included pictures of the back and inside if it was a Dodge factory vehicle. Either way it is cool and would be unique to any collection. What does 30,000L calculate to our money?

As a seller I would have included pictures of the back and inside if it was a Dodge factory vehicle. Either way it is cool and would be unique to any collection. What does 30,000L calculate to our money?

Once I get a few more pictures I will post them here. I am very curious myself. 30,000R is basically $2900 US.

That same "gumtree" website shows a 69 sweptline with a separate cab/box, so I think it's a custom job.

Maybe I missed something, but why do think there's a S. Africa connection? In any event, it's possible it was built either as a design exercise & escaped the factory somehow or it's a limited production for something like the militsry.
I stumbled onto something like some years ago with a '66 Chevelle panel truck. The seller claimed they were built for the Air Force back then. Fortunately I had a friend that was in the Air Force at that time & he confirmed they did have a few. They were support vehicles for Fighter Wings at the time. Perhaps your truck had a similiar purpose??

Maybe I missed something, but why do think there's a S. Africa connection? In any event, it's possible it was built either as a design exercise & escaped the factory somehow or it's a limited production for something like the militsry.
I stumbled onto something like some years ago with a '66 Chevelle panel truck. The seller claimed they were built for the Air Force back then. Fortunately I had a friend that was in the Air Force at that time & he confirmed they did have a few. They were support vehicles for Fighter Wings at the time. Perhaps your truck had a similiar purpose??

Well, the connection is the fact that the truck is in South Africa...lol. Hopefully not much longer if things work out! I am pretty sure there isn't another one here in the states like this one.

Here is a picture of the rear. I think its pretty unique and cool looking! The owner sent this one, and will be sending more pictures that I asked for tomorrow. He said the previous owner did the interior conversion, and added the windows, but to his knowledge the truck was built the way you see it.

Attachments

• 100_5302b.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 239
Here is a picture of the rear. I think its pretty unique and cool looking! The owner sent this one, and will be sending more pictures that I asked for tomorrow. He said the previous owner did the interior conversion, and added the windows, but to his knowledge the truck was built the way you see it.

no doubt it's a cool truck. but back then they just didn't build things that stream lined. look at the styling of the camper specials of that era. even the back doors were built out of aluminum siding

no doubt it's a cool truck. but back then they just didn't build things that stream lined. look at the styling of the camper specials of that era. even the back doors were built out of aluminum siding

I would agree with the above assessment and that photo of the back screams "Not 60's" I will eat my shoe if that shell addition is 60's.

Curious if this is being sold by Prince Iripuoff, I mean we are talking Africa here.

Seeing that it is a right hand driver's configuration I agree that it is probably one of a limited run of factory purpose-built utility type trucks manufactured overseas.

I remember seeing that type of utility vehicle in use by railroad workers, electrical linemen/riggers, and California Division of Forestry firefighters (known as Hotshots) in SoCal back in the 1960s. Some of them had windows and some of them didn't. I was a kid back then and I don't recall any specific automaker's trademark on any of them.

-
Back