Looking at purchasing a "portable garage" (aka, tent) for temp storage. Any recommendations?

-
If you've got ****, pay to have it stored inside, or build something Non-Temporary.
That's one of the reasons we bought the place we did, as I was paying almost $1,000/month for three rental/shop spaces.

Now I have everything in the same ZIP code, at least!

Just need to get the shed/shop insulated, and then I can use the "tent" as a weather cover for the boats.

Last edited:
Find out what all them illegal aliens are usin in them tent cities. Evidently they're bulldozer proof.

I have a 10 x 10 shelter logic shed. Its seen 2 Wisconsin winters and showing some wear. Then again I lag screwed it to a 2 x 6 construction wood floor so its got a sturdy base. I bought this to throw some FAMILY CRAP that has been laying around the shop FOREVER. I could care LESS about this stuff and would toss it all out, but they are all SAVE THIS and I WANT IT OUT. So I got this tent thing dealie at half price, ($75) and I didn’t care how long it lasted as much as I don’t care if the crap in it rots to hell. It’s out of my shop. I’m storing it. If they don’t like it, COME TAKE IT AWAY.

I’m satisfied with how the shed has held up, especially for what I paid for it. But if I had to buy full price, I’d go HF or buy whatever is cheapest.
I sincerely appreciate the feedback on the Shelter Logic unit, thank you!

And good luck storing stuff for others! We have way too much stuff here that belongs to our (deadbeat) niece and nephew, but their my wife's family, and....you get the picture.

Not a fan of any of them. I was looking for a pic I took of a neighbour's that collapsed. He paid 10 grand for it.
Ouch!

My budget is roughly $4k all-in, which includes some Class 5 I want to lay down as a base.

Can't imagine laying out $10k for one of these, though. Wow!

Last edited:
I've had a King Canopy 10x20 for 15+ years here in NY.

2" powder coated frame, got the stainless steel cable trusses with it.
I screwed the bottom pole bases to 4x4s on either side.
Came with the side panels but I don't use them.

It has taken countless heavy wet snowfalls, the canopy tarp will sag but stands strong.

I do keep up with maintenance and preventative measures.
Snow, I take a wide push broom to the underside and shake the snow off regularly during storms.

Wind, we get a lot lately for some reason, I keep straps hanging at all 4 corners and hook them to front/rear bumpers.
It came with long tent stakes to screw into the ground, but I don't want to rely on those.

Top, I replace regularly and will order multiple at a time, sometimes just throw a new one over an older one.

I bought another one, framed it out with 2x4s and 2x6s with a metal roof and made my own stainless steel cable trusses. It's a heavy piece and no need to strap it down.

It has taken a shot from a very large Y shaped maple tree branch. I heard it but didn't realize until a few days later.
No damage.

I have two soft buildings like that. There is a wide range of building durability depending on how much you pay. The ones that I got have large diameter thick poles, and thick covers. One is twelve years old and took a hit from a BIG fir branch last year and put a rip in the cover. I got a replacement cover and put it right over the old one - now twice as thick! The other is 7 years old. The newest one is from a company called Rhino. The other is from a company called ClearSpan that makes big buildings like this for farming and industrial use. These aren't cheap, but I believe that they have a very long life. If I hadn't placed one under a 120 foot tall Doug Fir it would probably be rolling along with little maintenance. The pic is of the Clear San building which is the better designed one IMHO, though the Rhino is no slouch.

Clear span green garage.jpg

PS: it makes a big difference how much the lower poles lean in in terms of usable space. Like the one in your first pic, the clearspan poles are pretty much upright for the first 5 feet or so.

I would also agree with the metal carport idea. It'll withstand our Midwest weather way better than a canvas shelter

-
Back