Looking for a decent mig welder - Cheap

-

Mopardude18

Mopardude18
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with a good Mig Welder under $400. This one is listed on Home Depots site for $360. Any thoughts or others you have that work well.

Thanks,

Brad

Lincoln Electric Handy MIG Welder
Model # K2185-1

I used that same one to put floors in my Duster. I have no welding experience. It was easy to set up and use. My coworker is an experienced welder stated that I could weld in frame connectors with it. It only uses flux core wire & could use a better duty cycle . A more versatle one would use gas. Just my .02.

The one he's showing has a gas regulator with it..I have an older model similar to that. Mine is about 10 years old, it's a 110 unit with shielding gas. I use it quite a bit and it works well on what it's designed to work on, I believe up to 3/16". It doesn't have a high duty cycle so it's not a production machine but I've used mine on a couple cars, sheet metal and I've done some ornamental stuff with it and box tube and round tube frames for signs that I make. "Handy" is a good name for it, works for what I need it for and is not so big it's always in the road. If you search the site for welders, we seem to have this conversation about every six months or so.

I got one similar to that one (Hobart), works well for what I need it for. Sheet metal repair, made brackets for motorcycle fenders, made a tow dolly etc. I use it once or twice a month for small jobs around the garage and house. I think it was around $300.00 4-5 years ago. Very easy to use (with some practice) I never welded before I got it. good luck.

Forgot to add, I used flux core wire and shielding gas. Shielding gas is much nicer to work with and well worth the extra cash.

i bought a millermatic 140 by miller. (a 120 machine) a few years ago. it is awesome. it was a little more cause it is a gas machine 750.00. but it welds like a dream. i have welded up to 1/2 inch thick plate with it. i built my whole rotisserie with it. its small and doesnt take up much room. it welds awesome. very very simple to use. if i were you, i would invest in a gas welder. the welds are much cleaner. good luck ......might wanna check out craigslist.com. they have all kinds of welders on there.

I have a Lincoln 135 sp. It works fine except for the 20% duty cycle is too low; or maybe I am spoiled from using a Miller Tig at school. 110 volt seems to not be enough for me. I am always waiting for the welder to cool down.

It works fine for home use, I just happen to be doing alot of welding on cars lately and need a better duty cycle.

I am going to purchase a Miller TIG later this year and toss the Lincoln.

i like the hobart 140 i think it might be around 500 now tho. for sure get one that can use shielding gas. for any sheet metal you will want it

Hobart 140 is definitly one of the best 110 welders out there. Tractor supply just had a sale with the regulator for $449. I got a hobart 135, the older 140, and its nice for a 110 machine. Just make sure ya got a 20 amp outlet.

I got a lincoln mig I think it was the next one up from that erg 550 onncraigslist for 280 check craigslist and stuff I'm sure there is deals on there

I got a Lincoln 140 off eBay last year, brand new for $420 delivered. It's a great welder with a gas regulator included.

I bought a Lincoln weld pac 175 from Home Depot. It is a 220 machine with gas or without. I've built trailer hitches, pipe fence( ran it off my generator), the roll cage in my dart, roll cage in a 57 chevy gasser, and now working on a cage for a 56 chevy 2drht.

-
Back