Looking for a good coil for my Duster....

-

dustergal

Memberless Member
Reaction score
I have an old MSD blaster 2 that lasted several years. Got a new one from Summit with a Made in China sticker on it. Ugh. I checked my old one and it was made in Mexico. The quality difference is night and day (the Chinese one sucks). It lasted one pass on the drag strip and I sent that piece of crap back.

I doubt there are any Made in America coils, but what is a somewhat decent brand that will last longer than one pass down the strip?

I didn't know MSD stuff was made in CHINA. I know the Blaster coil was a favorite of most guys but I have always liked the MSD Blaster SS. No real reason just liked the looks(gay I know but sometimes it is about show). I have had them on mild street cars to 10 sec dragcars.

Have you looked at a Mallory? I hate to say it but A LOT of major racing brands have their stuff made in China in oneway or another. Maybe you could call some of the companies to see where their parts are made.

Yes, the Mallory that Summit sells have the "Made in USA" logo by them in the catalog, BUT when you get the coil out of the box there is a Made in China sticker on the coil itself. I'm not sure where the "Made in USA" part is....maybe the box? lol. We went though that after the MSD fiasco.

Doing some research, I found an interesting article on coils and where they are manufactured, the guy also mentions MSD box failures in conjunction with red coil use, which we also experienced.

Here is the article is anyone is interested:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-581.html

If your running a msd 6 ignition use a blaster SS, if its a stock type setup with a orange or chrome box i would just go to NAPA and get there #IC12 this is what i replaced my bad MSD blaster II coil with its made in Mexico but quality seems better than the Accel and msd canister types. Make sure your ballast is giving a good 7 to 9v to the coil when running.

The Mexican MSD worked fine for me, lol. I have a Mallory ignition box on the Duster. My Dart has the stock ignition with a chrome box and we have a parts store coil on it (don't remember the brand) and it works great.

We called MSD tech support and the guy told us the MSD Blaster SS is made in America. I have one on order and we'll see when it arrives.

Just bought a Mallory 6AL box, Pro Master coil and the Unilite diz. This setup has a TON of juice, it was jumping leads with the coil wire off while I was trying to prime the carb. Pretty sure if you held a plug you may not wake up for a while.

-
Back