Looking for a Shorter Air Filter Element to Clear Hood

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
I'm trying to find an air filter that is short enough to clear the hood on my Dart. I'm using the Mopar Performance finned air filter that uses a 12.5" filter. If I could find a filter that's about 12.5"x2" I'd be golden. I went to Advance and opened all of their boxes with no luck.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jon

Rather than a shorter filter, check out Summit and see if they have a inch & 1/4 drop filter base that size, if thats enough ?

Unfortunately, I can't use a drop base without interfering with the throttle cable and bracket on the throttle body.
Thanks,
Jon

You want to get the black plastic Edelbrock 1" spacer to put under the drop base air cleaner. That way it will lower the top of the air cleaner and raise the bottom enough to clear the linkage. I have had to do this on several vehicles over the years.

Look at K&N Filters web site. You can search by height, OD and ID to find what you need.

frontmotorshot-1.jpg
This is a K&N, I just put the sticker on it.
IMG_1322.jpg
Here's one I put on my 69 dart

I had that same size on the 73 Duster. But i flipped the top upside down and got about .5" clearance extra or so. It worked. I also had the 1 inch spacer.

Here you can see why the drop base doesn't fit. It hits on the bracket for the throttle cable.
I don't understand how using a dropped base but spacing it up will lower the top of the air cleaner.
-Jon

SI855799.jpg

The drop base with the black spacer is still lower than the raised base is. It does work at least with an AFB style carb in an A body or in a 73 camaro or in anything else that I have put an AFB with a drop base in.

With that intake I'm not sure if it will still clear the hood due to how tall the intake is.

-
Back