Looking For Advice -- 273 2bbl Tuning

-

clifftt

Reaction score
Been messing with this car off and on for months and she's starting to run decent. I've got a few complaints, so I'm putting them on the table for FABO to offer suggestions.

'64 Barracuda 273 2 barrel w/ A/T trans, fresh rebuild .030 over with low compression cast pistons (I'm guessing 8.0 - 8.5). Engine stock, but put in a small Summit K6900 cam (.420"/.442", 204*/214*@ .050), light polish on the chambers and gasket matched the exhaust ports (didn't touch the intake ports). Stock 273 manifolds (heat riser is opening) and the factory single exhaust. Still running the stock Carter BBD 2 bbl carb, rebuilt and not modified. Stock point distributor with new Blue Streak stuff and 12* BTDC (vac disconnected when measuring), stock coil, new blue Mopar wires.

My ***** list:
1). Idles a little rough, and I'm not expecting (Mercedes/Lexus idle smooth!)
2). Engine runs cool, barely going over 150* after driving around town for 15 minutes (stock gauge reads low and a S/W gauge reads just above 150*). Stock radiator.
3). Smells like its running rich. The carb sweats gas thru the top cover gasket around the fuel bowl, so maybe the float is too high but weird thing is spark plugs look squeeky clean. But my shirt smells like I've plugged the exhaust pipe with it when I'm working around it!

I'd like to soon try a Pertronix II conversion, but I think as it is now it should idle better and not choke me out of the garage.

FABO, you guys have worked me through so much so far, what else can you suggest??

-
Back