Looking for advice before I start my first resto

-

Shmaako

Reaction score
I have just purchased a non #'s matching 67 barracuda. frame is good. but everything else needs alot of attention. first thing I want to do is replace gas tank for the 383 and get her runnin. But what I want to know is, besides the obvious start of the motor, what brake system is recommended to replace the 4 drums and what suspension kit do I start saving up for? I figure for the price of the new kits, it's probably the way to go...unless?any advice to avoid common mistakes for first timers would be awesome TIA

Welcome aboard. Search thru the vendors section. PST is one and they specialize in suspension.
Definitely disc brakes on front. You can go factory. Either way will be pricey but worth it.
Fair amount of 1 year only stuff so don't toss anything.

Notch fastback or vert? I have extra 67-9 cuda stuff if need be.

Pics?

Best advice is to have a plan and stick to it. It's very easy to get off track and one item can change the entire build.

Keep it safe.
Paint is over rated.

First, welcome. There are lots of disk brake conversions out there. I went with the non-power kit by Stainless Steel Brake Corp. It was reasonable priced, and they work GREAT. Second, I highly suggest buying a journal to log EVERYTHING you do in. If you are familiar with the TV show GEARS, Stacy sells a VERY nice journal specifically set up to track a restoration. You want to log ABSOLUTELY everything you do, and EVERY penny you spend down to nuts and bolts. Then take LOTS of pictures. It will help a lot when you are putting the car back together. I wholeheartedly agree with not throwing anything out. FYI, Barracudas don't have frames.

Make an estimate, then triple it.

Other than that, don't give up!

Convertible.
I need entire dash bezel with gauges etc. The guy before me installed a stainless eyesore box with newer gauges. Upperdash is good. Need a boot for top. And I would like to get a manual console for the 4 speed. Among many other things Im sure to find out about lol
14725248657731057417295.jpg

Welcome aboard. Search thru the vendors section. PST is one and they specialize in suspension.
Definitely disc brakes on front. You can go factory. Either way will be pricey but worth it.
Fair amount of 1 year only stuff so don't toss anything.

Notch fastback or vert? I have extra 67-9 cuda stuff if need be.

Pics?

First, welcome. There are lots of disk brake conversions out there. I went with the non-power kit by Stainless Steel Brake Corp. It was reasonable priced, and they work GREAT. Second, I highly suggest buying a journal to log EVERYTHING you do in. If you are familiar with the TV show GEARS, Stacy sells a VERY nice journal specifically set up to track a restoration. You want to log ABSOLUTELY everything you do, and EVERY penny you spend down to nuts and bolts. Then take LOTS of pictures. It will help a lot when you are putting the car back together. I wholeheartedly agree with not throwing anything out. FYI, Barracudas don't have frames.
Good advice thanks! And ya I guess I screwed up by sayin frame but rails, rockers, etc all good...scaling but still thick.
I will get a journal tho! Although it may scare me....ignorance is bliss!

You may want to tie the frame rails together being a vert bb. NICE CAR!

I have bezel gauges etc send me a pm with email if interested.
Have fun!

that is rather custom dash

let me know if you want to cut me a deal on the gauges once your ready to replace them

Outstanding! a convertible!. I would worry about top side paint last. Maybe a good rub out or detail, but thats all. That is coming from a 30+ year paint and body guy. Bottom is important, but there are real deceptions out there - POR-15 is one of them. We conducted 60 cycle cyclic corrosion testing to ASTM standards with 7 of the paint over rust products. only one provided any "pass" results and POR-15 failed first. PM for more info on that.
I have owned a 67 fastback since 1986. These guys are right, parts are often "unobtaniom" for these cars now. hard to beat the looks - I love the styling. If you are going to put any amount of real power through it, plan on a set of welded in sub frame connectors.
NICE CAR

-
Back