Looking for an EFI 318

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
What kinds of cars/trucks would I find an EFI'd 318 that I can use in my '64 Dart? I'm thinking that by buying a complete, running vehicle for cheap would be easier and possibly even cheaper than trying to track everything down. It would certainly be faster.

What cars or trucks would you guys recommend? Is there any year EFI that I should avoid?

I've already got all of the engine peripherals that I think I need for the swap, including a 4-speed OD trans, with bellhousing, engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, throttle linkage, V-8 torsion bars are already installed, etc.

Thanks!

Dodge started the 2v TBI on the 318 in the 1988 pickup. At the same time they switched to roller lifters.

That little throttle body system works fairly well, and was not complicated. I don't know which cars came that way, but I do know about the pickups.

Some Jeep Grand Cherokees also had a TBI injection 318.

B.

Dodge started the 2v TBI on the 318 in the 1988 pickup. At the same time they switched to roller lifters.

That little throttle body system works fairly well, and was not complicated. I don't know which cars came that way, but I do know about the pickups.

Some Jeep Grand Cherokees also had a TBI injection 318.

B.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the roller cams! That's definitely what I want. Were the roller engines also used in cars?

I found a '95 Dodge Ram pickup with only 127K miles on it for $1000, that might work but I'm not ready to buy right now, just trying to get prepared. :)

The 318 / 2v was primarily a truck / torque engine. It would be "snappy" in a light car...

Honestly i am not a huge Mopar guy. I am getting back to Mopar because I recently bought a '65 Barracuda. A previous owner had already swapped in a 318 / 727, saving me a lot of effort...

Prior to that my last Mopar was a 1973 Power Wagon I bought new. The 318 in that truck was great. I have a lot of respect for the 318, and the abuse it will take.

Over the years I encountered 318's in dodge pickups, and have worked on a few of the TBI trucks. Even in a junkyard, the EFI is usually mostly intact. Seems to be reliable.

I just have no experience with the '88 to '95 cars, but I am sure there were some with 318's. Perhaps one of the other posters here has something to add.

Your plan to find a running TBI vehicle to use as a donor sounds very smart to me.

B.

The TBI system Mopar used was worst than any carb I can think of. Either use a MPI (Magnum) engine or forget about it.

Dig for a magnum 5.2.I had a magnum 5.9 I picked up,compared to my old la motors no comparison.Better quench,better heads,lighter bob wieght,not to consider the lack of wear with the f/i setup.

-
Back