Looking for better fuel milage

-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
At present I'm only getting 8 mpg in town and 10-11 on the highway with the rpm's never over 3000 and only on the front two barrels. Carb is a Quick Fuel 650 double pumper. I'm running 66 jets in the front and was thinking about putting a plug in where the power valve is to see if it gets any better. Engine is a 360 +.060 with dished pistons in the hole so compression is around 8-9

Car runs great but likes gas. My setup is comp XE 284 with roller rockers and flat tappets. An Eddy air gap intake and Eddy Perf. RPM heads. I have a 3.55
out back with a 2800-3200 convertor.

The 'Cuda is a cruiser with a 99 % of the time.

Any info would be appreciated. Gonna do The Power Tour with it in June so I wanted a few more mpg if I can squeeze it out of it.

.........change the gears to 2.76 and put in a 22-25 for a stall.....dont take out the pv...set ur timing up if u have alittle room...kim.......

Tony

my dart with 700 holley double pump gets 10

with edlebrock 650 thunder series went to 14 mpg

that was my only change.

long story took it back off and put holley back on.

TS - carb is sitting in the barn and was planning on reinstalling it.

doesn't look like we will be doing much of the PT if any at all, was going to put my 3.23 back in if we could go

Come to the High Winders next Thursday and we can talk

At present I'm only getting 8 mpg in town and 10-11 on the highway with the rpm's never over 3000 and only on the front two barrels. Carb is a Quick Fuel 650 double pumper. I'm running 66 jets in the front and was thinking about putting a plug in where the power valve is to see if it gets any better. Engine is a 360 +.060 with dished pistons in the hole so compression is around 8-9

Car runs great but likes gas. My setup is comp XE 284 with roller rockers and flat tappets. An Eddy air gap intake and Eddy Perf. RPM heads. I have a 3.55
out back with a 2800-3200 convertor.

The 'Cuda is a cruiser with a 99 % of the time.

Any info would be appreciated. Gonna do The Power Tour with it in June so I wanted a few more mpg if I can squeeze it out of it.

Yank your 360 and put in a straight six. Who's going to know if you weld your hood shut? Just think of the mileage you'll get.:iconbigg:

Tony

my dart with 700 holley double pump gets 10

with edlebrock 650 thunder series went to 14 mpg

that was my only change.

long story took it back off and put holley back on.

TS - carb is sitting in the barn and was planning on reinstalling it.

come next thursday and we can talk about it

I'll be there Larry

Tony

.............Put on a dual snorkle air cleaner, my mileage went from 17.5 to 21[canadian gallon] with a warmed over in a 68 dart 340.....what converter do u have, maybe its not very effecient.......kim.......

.............Put on a dual snorkle air cleaner, my mileage went from 17.5 to 21[canadian gallon] with a warmed over in a 68 dart 340.....what converter do u have, maybe its not very effecient.......kim.......

I am running a 2800-3200 convertor...Comp XE284 cam called for the convertor. My air cleaner is open 360 Degrees

Attachments

• DSCF2329 (Medium).jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 524
Try putting a cluch fan on it won't hurt anything and that big hood scoop is cool but it will catch a lot of air going down the highway

At present I'm only getting 8 mpg in town and 10-11 on the highway with the rpm's never over 3000

I can help you add 5 to 7 if you are interested.

Not for racing, just for mileage.

For racing you'll have to take it off, (a few minutes).

Headers might help, might not. I agree with Wildcat, try an Edelbrock 650. I think you'll see a significant difference from that double pumper. Make sure you have a good front end alignment and no overtightened wheel bearings or brakes dragging. Maximum tire pressure and larger diameter rear tires with a smaller width will help. Optimize your ignition timing and use a vacuum advance. Make your hood scoop fully functional. Buy a vacuum gauge and drive with one eye on it and the other on the road.

Headers might help, might not. I agree with Wildcat, try an Edelbrock 650. I think you'll see a significant difference from that double pumper. Make sure you have a good front end alignment and no overtightened wheel bearings or brakes dragging. Maximum tire pressure and larger diameter rear tires with a smaller width will help. Optimize your ignition timing and use a vacuum advance. Make your hood scoop fully functional. Buy a vacuum gauge and drive with one eye on it and the other on the road.

No headers for me...never cared for them

Vacuum is 7-8 inches at idle.......has a 3.5 power valve in the carb

the MSD dizzy has a mechanical advance with heavy springs installed (factory)
Hood scoop is fully functional, rear tires are 28"

I think the Eddy carb might be the ticket for 3 or 4 mpg increase also. That may not sound like much but on a 3000-3500 mile trip with over $4.00 gas it could add up.

I don't really mind the mileage for the local cruise in's bot for a Long Haul trip I'm hoping for a little better than I'm getting now.

Tony, 7-8 inches sounds low to me for that combo. What is your timing setup like? Initial, total, all in by? Have you tried a lighter spring setup for the dizzy? No vacuum adavance?

Tony, 7-8 inches sounds low to me for that combo. What is your timing setup like? Initial, total, all in by? Have you tried a lighter spring setup for the dizzy? No vacuum adavance?

Brad (my engine builder) has the total timing set around 40 degrees...don't quote me on that. Total timing is in at 4000 rpm with the heavy silver springs installed by MSD. Centrifugal advance is 21 degrees.

Haven't tried different springs yet.

No vacuum advance on the MSD dizzy that I am using.

That is low vacuum for that cam. Vacuum advance will help a lot on the street. You can easily fit a taller tire (27") in those wheelwells. Try sealing your air cleaner tightly to the hood so all the air coming in your scoop is forced into it.

That is low vacuum for that cam. Vacuum advance will help a lot on the street. You can easily fit a taller tire (27") in those wheelwells. Try sealing your air cleaner tightly to the hood so all the air coming in your scoop is forced into it.

I was wrong...my tires are 28"

If it was me I would swap the springs to get the total in a lot sooner on a lightweight car like our A's. Then see how much total she likes.

Is your intake a dual plane or single? A dual plane will give you better driveability and torque down low. If you're going to do the tour you'll want your car as street friendly as possible.

.............I'm asking 4 the brand name, most no name type verters hinder gas mileage.....alot, u get what u pay 4.....kim.........

-
Back