looking for quietest exhaust

-

74 dustaar

Reaction score
I am asking this for a friend who owns a 73 duster with a 440, Indy heads with two 890 demon carbs. Custom large tube headers going to two 4inch race magnums. sez its just too loud to run at night (poor neighbors) he is looking for the quietest best performance 4inch muffler. Thanks

It`s really hard to quiet something down like that without hurting performance. My car`s not as radical as your friends but what I ended up doing was running two glasspacks into two low restriction mufflers.

Its custom headers to 4 inch duel pipe to duel 4 inch mufflers and he is not happy with the mufflers

So he`s already running 2 mufflers on each bank? A crossover pipe may help some but he`ll probaby have to go to a chambered muffler if he`s serious about quieting that thing down.

Any muffler that has "race" in its name reallt isn't a muffler. Put on a pair of the longest 3" flowmasters you can find, and if its still too loud go to 3" tailpipes.

Yes 2 Race Magnums, What is a chambered muffler?

Most every performance muffler is a "straight through" design that is simply baffled somehow. A chambered muffler will have seperate chambers (usually 3) that the exhaust must travel through to exit the muffler. This gives the muffler time to work but also reduces the flow. It`s a balancing act to get performance and driveability to co-exist.

Thanks for the info, I just called my friend with all the information and he is going to try the collector inserts. Thank-You Longgone I am still learning and this site helps alot with people like you ! green horn Dustaar 74

Thanks for the info, I just called my friend with all the information and he is going to try the collector inserts. Thank-You Longgone I am still learning and this site helps alot with people like you ! green horn Dustaar 74

We all have to start somewhere. Glad I could help Dustaar 74. That`s what we`re here for.

I had this problem on Demon with a 3" exhaust.....LOUUUUUUUD........added a pair of shorty glasspacks (12") to the rear, with my chrome tips welded to the ends......clean install, great looks, and solved the extreme noise. :read2:

-
Back