Looking for some advice on a 360 magnum swap

-

Dusted73

Reaction score
I am currently looking at a 360 magnum out of a 95 ram 2500. It has 126k on it and is a running engine all complete with everything. First question is it better to keep the serpentine belt system? I heard better alternator but power steering setup may interfere with my battery tray. Also need to AC delete. I know ill need to change oil pan and pick up. Next question should i use stock heads or the engine quest heads that already have springs and valves in them with the LA intake bolt pattern. I already have a brand new weiand intake on my 318 LA and brand new edlebrock 1406 carb as well as brand new distributor and wires. I am new when it comes to tearing into engines but am anxious to try. I figured I would buy whatever books needed for reference. Goal is a good street machine 300-350 hp. 3.73 gears 904 trans in a 73 duster.

If it runs, drop it in. I like the serpentine belt. Get the b van power steering bracket and the idler to toss the AC and you're set.

You'll need a magnum compatible intake for that carb.

If it runs, drop it in. I like the serpentine belt. Get the b van power steering bracket and the idler to toss the AC and you're set.

You'll need a magnum compatible intake for that carb.
I was looking at the crosswind intake, although it all depends how the factory heads are on the magnum. If they are cracked I'll probably go with new eq heads and be able to use my weiand action plus intake I already own

I am currently looking at a 360 magnum out of a 95 ram 2500. It has 126k on it and is a running engine all complete with everything. First question is it better to keep the serpentine belt system? I heard better alternator but power steering setup may interfere with my battery tray. Also need to AC delete. I know ill need to change oil pan and pick up. Next question should i use stock heads or the engine quest heads that already have springs and valves in them with the LA intake bolt pattern. I already have a brand new weiand intake on my 318 LA and brand new edlebrock 1406 carb as well as brand new distributor and wires. I am new when it comes to tearing into engines but am anxious to try. I figured I would buy whatever books needed for reference. Goal is a good street machine 300-350 hp. 3.73 gears 904 trans in a 73 duster.
I like the serpentine setup too, but your combination will dictate which way you can go.
If you want to keep a mechanical fuel pump you need to use an eccentric, adapter for eccentric or LA style long snout camshaft, and LA timing cover. That leaves with with LA V-belt setup or aftermarket serpentine setup.
If you are running an electric fuel pump you don’t need the eccentric and you can keep the Magnum serpentine setup, with some different parts to make it fit.
So, are you running electric fuel pump?
Is your battery tray in stock location or moved to the trunk?
Are you already planning to take it apart and check the heads or try running it as-is first?

I like the serpentine setup too, but your combination will dictate which way you can go.
If you want to keep a mechanical fuel pump you need to use an eccentric, adapter for eccentric or LA style long snout camshaft, and LA timing cover. That leaves with with LA V-belt setup or aftermarket serpentine setup.
If you are running an electric fuel pump you don’t need the eccentric and you can keep the Magnum serpentine setup, with some different parts to make it fit.
So, are you running electric fuel pump?
Is your battery tray in stock location or moved to the trunk?
Are you already planning to take it apart and check the heads or try running it as-is first?
Battery I would like in stock location and think I would like to stay with serpentine belt setup with AC delete if easy enough to do. I will probably pull heads and inspect them and cylinder walls. Will need to pull pan and change it and pickup so I will check main bearings before I put thenew pan and pick up. While the engine is out I'll probably change timing chain setup because of mileage and ease of access with the engine out maybe do a cam swap for same reason. But then again I am super new to tearing engines apart.

i am putting a 96 5.9 in my 71 dart. i am using the factory fi and wiring, w/computer. i will leave my battery ray where it is and use the van mount, as i have several of them. i am putting a walbro pump on my 3/8 sending unit in the stock tank and using a return type fuel system.

Dorman makes the ac delete pulley.

Be aware, the eq heads of today kinda suck compared to the old ones

Dorman makes the ac delete pulley.

Be aware, the eq heads of today kinda suck compared to the old ones
Suck how? I thought everyone loved them for the price. Did you have a bad experience with them?

I was looking at the crosswind intake, although it all depends how the factory heads are on the magnum. If they are cracked I'll probably go with new eq heads and be able to use my weiand action plus intake I already own
If the cylinders dont show any signs of coolant in them from cracked magnum heads just run them. 99% of the time they are not an issue.

If the top of the piston in one or more cylinders looks like it has been steam cleaned compared to the others, then I might look at changing heads.

Suck how? I thought everyone loved them for the price. Did you have a bad experience with them?
They are just a replacement head now. Original castings were made in NZ and were a performance upgrade.

Ones that are available new for the last couple years are still sold by EQ but are a different casting. Not a performance piece without sinking a lot more money into them for porting.

They are just a replacement head now. Original castings were made in NZ and were a performance upgrade.

Ones that are available new for the last couple years are still sold by EQ but are a different casting. Not a performance piece without sinking a lot more money into them for porting.
The selling point if I had to swap heads was being able to get them with the LA bolt pattern for an intake manifold, I have a brand new weiand action plus on my 318 with a brand new edlebrock 600 carb. If the stock heads are good does anyone drill them for LA intakes? Something a machine shop could do possibly?

Which intake do you have? If it is a small port for 318 engines forget about it. Sell it.

If the engine is from a 95 truck and you do disassemble it, check the block for LA oiling holes, just so you know. It may still have them. Problem is the only LA head with provisions to mount the Magnum serpentine setup is the Trick Flow head.

As others said, the current EQ heads are not performance heads, but they will get you where you want to be if you go that route. Member @318willrun has a couple videos out there on these heads. Search 318willrun on YouTube.

• Some of the magnums come without AC and use a shorter belt. My Dad's '94 Dakota was this way.
  • I personally like the LA front on the magnum.
  • If you want to run a fuel pump on the stock magnum cam, hughes makes a kit for the eccentric and it is not expensive at all.
  • Another option is a LA roller cam ('85-91). Many of them have the long nose for the fuel pump eccentric. This is what I did on one of our vans.

• Some of the magnums come without AC and use a shorter belt. My Dad's '94 Dakota was this way.
  • If you want to run a fuel pump on the stock magnum cam, hughes makes a kit for the eccentric and it is not expensive at all.
  • Another option is a LA roller cam ('85-91). Many of them have the long nose for the fuel pump eccentric. This is what I did on one of our vans.
The LA roller cam engines are hard to find here. I found one but has been sitting on a guys trailer for 10 years outside and he wants 300 and I consider that a core at that point. The magnum is in a running truck with a rotten frame 126k miles for 250, hard to pass that deal up. I do have all the LA front stuff on my 318 that I could rob because I plan on keeping that engine as a backup because thaose are getting even harder to find here. The intake I have is the 8007 which says is for a 318 or 360 but this is all new to me just hate to not use a brand new $400 intake if I can avoid it.
Which intake do you have? If it is a small port for 318 engines forget about it. Sell it.

If the engine is from a 95 truck and you do disassemble it, check the block for LA oiling holes, just so you know. It may still have them. Problem is the only LA head with provisions to mount the Magnum serpentine setup is the Trick Flow head.

As others said, the current EQ heads are not performance heads, but they will get you where you want to be if you go that route. Member @318willrun has a couple videos out there on these heads. Search 318willrun on YouTube.

This one is an 86 360 not worth 300 in my opinion offered 200 and got shot down. I decided if I went with another LA to go 360 roller engine. Figured fuel injected engine would be a better start. Magnums are much easier to find in rotted decent mileage trucks but even magnum 360s are getting harder to find.

Screenshot_20230225-221308_Facebook.png

It is sad but true that the Hemi has double the production run of the Magnum, and isn't two decades old now.
When I swapped my Magnum, the Hemi was still pretty new

The LA roller cam engines are hard to find here. I found one but has been sitting on a guys trailer for 10 years outside and he wants 300 and I consider that a core at that point. The magnum is in a running truck with a rotten frame 126k miles for 250, hard to pass that deal up. I do have all the LA front stuff on my 318 that I could rob because I plan on keeping that engine as a backup because thaose are getting even harder to find here. The intake I have is the 8007 which says is for a 318 or 360 but this is all new to me just hate to not use a brand new $400 intake if I can avoid it.
I was talking LA camshaft, not the entire engine. Any '85-87 318 cam should be a sure ticket because they were carbureted. I've taken apart '89 and even though TBI, they still had the long snout. Or, you can just put a 30 dollar extension from Hughes and use the factory stuff. I bought two LA timing covers for 10 bucks each at a local swap meet. You have a choices and they are all good ones and pretty common ways to go and available. Serpentine, LA front, etc etc. All good choices, just up to the owner. As for intakes, I bought 3 speedmaster intakes (china air gaps) for the mag/la for 130 each when they had black friday sale. This past BF sale they were 180.

I was talking LA camshaft, not the entire engine. Any '85-87 318 cam should be a sure ticket because they were carbureted. I've taken apart '89 and even though TBI, they still had the long snout. Or, you can just put a 30 dollar extension from Hughes and use the factory stuff. I bought two LA timing covers for 10 bucks each at a local swap meet. You have a choices and they are all good ones and pretty common ways to go and available. Serpentine, LA front, etc etc. All good choices, just up to the owner.
I would like a cam that has a little bit of a mean idle but still a good street cam but with mostly stock engine, if I need to update springs that would be okay, what would you recommend? I appreciate all your time and knowledge!

I would like a cam that has a little bit of a mean idle but still a good street cam but with mostly stock engine, if I need to update springs that would be okay, what would you recommend? I appreciate all your time and knowledge!
well then, i just LOVE the cam I put in our Bombcycle in the ole farm truck. It is from Oregon Cam grinders. It was for a 1.5 rocker and had the long snout (we run the LA front on our magnums). I show the part number and all in the video. Go to my youtube channel and look at the playlist for the "Bombcycle". Lots of good info just for what you are trying to do. I used the Hughes spring kit 1110 with it on factory magnum heads with the chinese air gap.

well then, i just LOVE the cam I put in our Bombcycle in the ole farm truck. It is from Oregon Cam grinders. It was for a 1.5 rocker and had the long snout (we run the LA front on our magnums). I show the part number and all in the video. Go to my youtube channel and look at the playlist for the "Bombcycle". Lots of good info just for what you are trying to do. I used the Hughes spring kit 1110 with it on factory magnum heads with the chinese air gap.
You are a wealth of knowledge thank you.

Thank you guys for all of your help. I should be picking up the engine next week, I'll get it on a stand get it cleaned up and do a head check and we'll go from there. Pictures to come, this is an exciting step for me! Any books you guys recommend to purchase for this adventure?

-
Back