looking for some answers about our hot rodding

-

macho781988

your resident horses a$$
Reaction score
i may not have all the facts so thats wat im after i got my new issue of hot rod magazine ls1 hottest motor blah blah cubby crap one thing that caught my eye was a few letters about the government taking away our right for mods and hot rodding ive seen it a bunch before in the 4 wheeler and petersons 4 wheel and offroad mags with lift laws and fender laws and such but i just wondered how many if any of you guys and gals have any insite into this issue i live in indiana where monster trucks roam the streets and no one cares about loudness issues stack smoke lift heights tire size and so on i mean hell ive seen a full blown drag car dressed as a 64 impala roaring down the road and no one cared they all just took pics, then there was a camaro and a mustang that turned down a road leading out of town where everyone could see and they started drag racing rattling windows and setting off car alarms and i dont get mad in the slightest i just smile and go god damn i love america and wonder how someone can hate that when its basically wat the old ladies husbands did with their hopped up cars in the 30s 40s and 50s. so can they really take away the right to hot rod? and if theyre concerned about the air cant we just run high flow cats and pass the tests? isnt that wat they were made for?

They are trying. Now in CA sand cars have to be CARB compliant and they are trying to stop the sell of race gas to us. An off road car with a green sticker. What a bunch of BS.

why though? wat do they have to gain from all this i have this posted on 3 sites machopowerwagon ramcharger central and here one said not to bother making sense of it and you say they are trying but it seems that cali is the main point for this wat i dont get is if its just cali ( which every one flocks to for some odd reason and everyone has a car so thats wat ill blame for their poor air quality) why is everyone else jumping on it as well when other states arent anywhere near over crowded except florida

oh really then what are they gonna do with money exactly? nothing not a damn thing just sit it in an offshore bank forever they wanna ave cash in an offshore bank lets send them offshore lol

The wrong of it is, that they drive their S U V 's to their tree hugging meetings. Ask Gore how many suv's his family owns. If its what they want to do they will justify it. I can see in the future a hobby permit for us. Another thing clunkers for cash, don't trust it. We have one thing on our side and that is after market restoration parts and suppliers. This market is huge and employees thousands of people., not to mention the race industry. Tree huggers are still the minority trouble is they shout the loudest. We put money into our cars they put money into lobbeing. We need to become as strong as the N R A.

They piss me off too. I plan to buy another A body soon and want to be able to drive it for a long, long time. But, we have another thing on our side --- oil companies. In my opinon, the tree huggin facists can try and try, but they will not fully succeed. The oil companies are powerful, and they want us to continue buying gas. It is why electric cars and hybrids and other abominations will not really catch on. It may sound weird, but I believe the oil companies will actually help us in the end. CAFE standards? I bet they'll be gone in three years.

I've belonged to SEMA for many years and to me, they are on top of a lot of our problems from the get go and do their best to educate the government on our needs. These days however, this country is in disarray but don't believe all the crap you read without having an interpreter standing at your side.

And the LS1 motor is the motor from hell with so many parts available because it still has its backings from its original manufacturer GM, unlike the changes Chrysler goes through even though World Products is getting a grip on it.

As an American who grew up with a love of cars during the 50's and 60's I just love vehicles, yes I have a Chebby truck which now cruises at 75mph@1250rpm because of the T56 manual 6 speed I was going to use in the Signet but when I don't want to just cruise I still have my 64 Signet still in the form I first built it in. The real problem to come is going to be gas prices and gasoline in general because they now call this a product and not gasoline, so adding the recommended 15% ethanol is going to make us change our mind a bit to how we are going to build......

i may not have all the facts so thats wat im after i got my new issue of hot rod magazine ls1 hottest motor blah blah cubby crap one thing that caught my eye was a few letters about the government taking away our right for mods and hot rodding ive seen it a bunch before in the 4 wheeler and petersons 4 wheel and offroad mags with lift laws and fender laws and such but i just wondered how many if any of you guys and gals have any insite into this issue i live in indiana where monster trucks roam the streets and no one cares about loudness issues stack smoke lift heights tire size and so on i mean hell ive seen a full blown drag car dressed as a 64 impala roaring down the road and no one cared they all just took pics, then there was a camaro and a mustang that turned down a road leading out of town where everyone could see and they started drag racing rattling windows and setting off car alarms and i dont get mad in the slightest i just smile and go god damn i love america and wonder how someone can hate that when its basically wat the old ladies husbands did with their hopped up cars in the 30s 40s and 50s. so can they really take away the right to hot rod? and if theyre concerned about the air cant we just run high flow cats and pass the tests? isnt that wat they were made for?

You kinda opened up a can of worms, posing such a philosophical & political question:banghead:
The short answer is, yes they can take away our cars. The "bigger" answer is that their view is that aside from being gross polluters, they are more dangerous, less efficient and take away other resources the population can utilize better. SEMA keeps a good, close eye on auto legislation and comes up with some creative answers for the politicans. I'm faaaaar from a "tree-hugger" but logic would suggest we at least try to make our hot rods particularly the daily drivers to be more efficient which usually translates into more power, anyway. Now the car that usually sees occassional street-duty or is especially rare DOES get some consideration, thanks to SEMA, by many States in terms of specialized registration, exemptions, etc. as they, of necessity, are rarely used so they really don't hurt or contribute anything. It's the guy (and I'm one) that has the "racecar" he occassionally drives on the street that seems to drive people nuts. My rational is that, like a collector car, it RARELY sees street-duty, so who am I REALLY "hurting"? Now the tree-huggers will say ANY such car should be banned, but is it any worse that their 4-cyl. smog-wagon they never bothe r to tune-up since being "only" 4-cyl. it's "smog friendly"? I DOUBT it! So to combat their arguments, I drive my STOCK daily-driver more often than not & tell them so, and ignore their protests.

You kinda opened up a can of worms, posing such a philosophical & political question:banghead:
The short answer is, yes they can take away our cars. The "bigger" answer is that their view is that aside from being gross polluters, they are more dangerous, less efficient and take away other resources the population can utilize better. SEMA keeps a good, close eye on auto legislation and comes up with some creative answers for the politicans. I'm faaaaar from a "tree-hugger" but logic would suggest we at least try to make our hot rods particularly the daily drivers to be more efficient which usually translates into more power, anyway. Now the car that usually sees occassional street-duty or is especially rare DOES get some consideration, thanks to SEMA, by many States in terms of specialized registration, exemptions, etc. as they, of necessity, are rarely used so they really don't hurt or contribute anything. It's the guy (and I'm one) that has the "racecar" he occassionally drives on the street that seems to drive people nuts. My rational is that, like a collector car, it RARELY sees street-duty, so who am I REALLY "hurting"? Now the tree-huggers will say ANY such car should be banned, but is it any worse that their 4-cyl. smog-wagon they never bothe r to tune-up since being "only" 4-cyl. it's "smog friendly"? I DOUBT it! So to combat their arguments, I drive my STOCK daily-driver more often than not & tell them so, and ignore their protests.

I agree here,but also look at what our hobby has produced in the last 50 years . If it weren't for hot rodding and racing alot of the tech we have availably now wouldn't be. Remember the 70's and 80's the Government had restricted the big three because of oil shortage and the high out put engines of the time. If it hadn't of been for the racers experimenting and developing and this includes the major auto producers and their race teams and through the restrictions set up by the Government , we wouldn't be where we are today. Most of our cars are safer and run more efficiantly than they did when they were new.

a race car on the street? not a big deal holy hell bob chandler used to drive big foot on the street and it was a fire breathing monster back in the day and im not really against anybody i like dodge and mopar but i drive a 92 ford daily and id kill for a nova or chevelle to build or a duster and so on, but i have a macho atm that i cant wait to get on the road and i have a 2wd engine donor that maybe i can make a mud truck out of but to be honest everybody has something cool wether its a chevy ford dodge hell ive seen some badass yotas too, i drove a mustang 5.0 and fell in love but it was a basket case and had to ditch it. i just wanna know that my new found hobby is safe. and the oil companies will save us and doom us at the same time with the gas prices going higher for no reason cant we all be happy at 2bucks a gallon and 2.50 a gallon on holidays? 5gallons for ten bucks will get alot more ppl out and about and used cars will sell and so will new ones and the aftermarket will soar high cause ppl will buy hot rods and old trucks familys will take trips to new places and have fun for once rather than pinch pennies. cmon cant anyone else see this has to happen or the country will basically crap out?lower gas= more goods, more goods=more money coming in, more money = more jobs more jobs = much more money which totals up to a happy america

call me an idiot but i dont keep with nra wat have they done?

Every damd thing. NRA friggin actually fights for our rights to tote and own guns. Which is why people dont break into your house in Arizona. You can only stop shi%bags maniacs with the threat of death. Thats how you educate them.

I agree, fight for the right to hotrod. Hot rods produce no pollution in relative percentage to every other source of pollution.

Hay, what about the millions of junk *** cars that drive across the mexican border into california each year with zero emissions control, smoking and stinking up the frigging world? Those pieces of garbage are friggin JUNK. Miss guided environmental enforcement.

When you want to build a dock for your fishing boat in the Sacramento river, you have to pay a 10 -12K stipend to the EPA for a pseudo algae impact study. Then you can build your dock. After the check clears. Its simply mob rules. Bullshi$.

Most of the studies on global warming,and animal impact studies are hiped so they can get Fereral money to contiue research. Keep everyone scared thats what sells, Most of the stuff they come up with is proven to be falts.
Remember the spotted Owl that put so many loggers out of work in Wa state? It could only live in this particular area. well after the loggers lost their battle. these Owls started poping up every where. Someone took a picture of one nesting on a Chevron sign. The Hippies of the 60's became the Yuppies and inviornmentalist of to day. I say stay informed ask question and vote.

The most important thing for us to do is vote; and that means local, state, and federal. The majority of American people have been asleep for too long.

The hobby is relatively safe thanks in huge part because of hotrodders.
As mentioned, much of today's safety features & such are because of hotrodding technolgy. Think I'm kidding? There isn't one piece of new technology in ANY product that hasn't been tried in performance vehicles in the past. Fuel injection? 1930s & 40s aircraft used it as well as Stuart Hilborn developing it after WWII. OHCs? Sorry, again early 20th century (God, that sounds weird!) experiments. Twin sparkplugs? Again early aircraft , or to update that, Mopar's 1970s P/S carsproved its worth. Ford's new 9&GREAT) "coyote" engine? You'll find its predeccesor on a 1965 cover of Hot Rod Magizine.
I could go on but the proof is clear--while "THEY" may not want "us" to play with our cars, history shows that past "experimentation" produces the very things we now rely on to better automotive safety & efficiency.......

I agree with this thread concept. We really do need to protect our rights to play with our supposedly environmentally not so friendly hobby. I live in upper california and am just waiting until they come out here and make us smog and conform, there by practially runing all the work we have done. If this happens across the US, it will dramatically affect the entire modified car industry. It will really screw up every one and every business involved.

We should join together similarly to the NRA where the NRA has big political muscle to protect the rights and freedoms of its members. Most of us probably know what the NRA has done for us recently. They get the job done..

you live in upper cali and you dont have to have emissions test? i knew it was only southern cali cause its over crowded, and if you guys do have to pass wat parts would you have to put on your cars, wouldnt you just put high flow cats on it and pass?

you live in upper cali and you dont have to have emissions test? i knew it was only southern cali cause its over crowded, and if you guys do have to pass wat parts would you have to put on your cars, wouldnt you just put high flow cats on it and pass?

No smog test for I think it is 76 or 77 and older cars in all of California.

What would you have to do to pass if we did? They use to have to be smog tested. My Dart did when I first got t back in 1991. Just need to have what ever smog parts were on it from the factory for that model year in good working order from what I remember. IE in 70 Darts did not have cats so you did not need one.

ic i have a 78 macho power wagon that doesnt have cats and i dont plan on paying 150 bucks a pop for two high flow ones so i can have true duals with cherry bomb extremes or glasspacks

Well, normally if smog testing applies, you have to have all original smog equipment, wires, vacuum hoses, and gadgets, and pass both visual and exhaust sniffer tests.

Now, most people would have pure hell trying to mod and hop up your old car and remain compliant if that type of reg was enacted for old vehicles.

Another possibility is simply outlawing older vehicles as they are never going to be capable of meeting modern smog and efficiency requirements with out massive and expensive modification.

Eventually people will realize this and start the wheels in motion to do away with anything that cannot conform to the "green" movement.

In the hills of california, it is by county how they handle their smog regs (I reckon). Here, just like rest of california, 1975 or around that and older, is no smog required. But here, if you buy a newer vehicle you smog once during transfer of ownership, after that, never smog again until its sold or transferred.

-
Back