Looking for some Hemi help...

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought another 5.7L Hemi today. This one is a 2008 out of a Charger. It's an MDS motor. Looks like the MDS solinoids have a broken wire. Guy said to me it was taken out because it kept over heating. An insurance company had it replaced. Also missing a valve cover.

My other Hemi is a 2005 Ram motor. The ram motor has a broken bolt in the crank.

I also have a bunch of spare parts, extra car intake complete, extra front cover and more.

I'd like to remove the MDS from the 2008 motor. Not needed for what I'm planning.

I'm wondering what parts are interchangable and such? I assume everything in the heads/block are the same.

Here's my idea. Use the 2008 motor complete. Take the heads and inspect the pistons and replace with new head gaskets. Use the truck valve covers and coils with shorty wires. To remove the MDS can I just remove the solinoids and replace with plugs? Do the MDS lifters need to be removed as well?

Then sell off all the extra parts.

Thank you advance,

Riddler

The mds lifters must go, no exceptions, mds silenoids must go, and then your golden on the rest. So swap those 2 items over and have at it.

Now I'm not sure my truck motor has plugs where the soleniods go. Where abouts would I be able to purchase some plugs for the soleniod location. Also should I buy just regular 5.7 lifters or wait and upgrade to 6.1 stuff with the pushrodsand exhaust springs?

Riddler

Inertia Motorsports has a conversion package for this that looks pretty inexpensive. Try them out!

Jeff

Now I'm not sure my truck motor has plugs where the soleniods go. Where abouts would I be able to purchase some plugs for the soleniod location. Also should I buy just regular 5.7 lifters or wait and upgrade to 6.1 stuff with the pushrodsand exhaust springs?

Riddler

just swap the plugs and lifter from the 05 to the 08 block and call it good. i just did it a few weeks ago in a 06 magnum, that i did a cam swap on. its not a big deal and honestly i would just leave the selonoids in there as its not that big of a deal if they stay. swap the lofters and call it a day.

you cant just swap the lifters. the lifter plastic retainer that keeps the lifters in place and from rotating has different size hole for the mds lifters. Get the retainers from a 04/05 pickup, these years had no mds on the 5.7, also get the mds solenoid plugs from the same. But really no reason to go thru all this unless your stepping up in camshaft lift and duration.

you cant just swap the lifters. the lifter plastic retainer that keeps the lifters in place and from rotating has different size hole for the mds lifters. Get the retainers from a 04/05 pickup, these years had no mds on the 5.7, also get the mds solenoid plugs from the same. But really no reason to go thru all this unless your stepping up in camshaft lift and duration.
Yeah your right you will need the retainers as well. But that is not a big deal. And you dont need to get the plugs. Trust me I have about 3-4 chargers out there right now that I have swapped the cams on and they did not put in the plugs when we did the MDS delete. You just need to turn off MDS with a programmer and then they do not matter. On the cam thing though the MDS really does not matter much. I have put in some good size cams in these motors and retined the MDS. MDS is really not that restrictive when it comes to lobe lift on the cam. I would worry more about piston to valve clearance and coil bind before I worried about the MDS lifter.

BTW I see your in El Paso you might know a buddy of mine. He had a black 04 Ram and races it in the sand drags out in Clint Tx. Its s nice looking truck it was black with red decals on it but now its just all black, with an aftermarket hood. His name is Don. and he goes by BIGBADDODGE on SouthwestDrags.com Ill have to look you up next time i head out that way.

So, do the MDS solonoids need to be connected to power source or energised for the lifter to pump up and activate the cylinders?

If one was to leave the MDS pieces inplace(lifters, yokes, solonoids) without any power, would it run all 8 cylinders in a carburated engine with stock cam?

Or is it mandatory to replace the MDS Lifters/yokes?

Thanks

So, do the MDS solonoids need to be connected to power source or energised for the lifter to pump up and activate the cylinders?

If one was to leave the MDS pieces inplace(lifters, yokes, solonoids) without any power, would it run all 8 cylinders in a carburated engine with stock cam?

Or is it mandatory to replace the MDS Lifters/yokes?

Thanks
The lifters with the MDS holes are very weak and will float under any size cam other then stock. They need to go if changing the cam and not using MDS

The lifters with the MDS holes are very weak and will float under any size cam other then stock. They need to go if changing the cam and not using MDS

I have to disagree. I have put camsin countless lx's with the mds still active, and they have not had any valve float.

but to answer martins question about the carb setup yes you will need to change them.

I have to disagree. I have put camsin countless lx's with the mds still active, and they have not had any valve float.

but to answer martins question about the carb setup yes you will need to change them.
Yes if the mds is still active they will hold pressure. I have installed many many LX cams as well I just know that the first thing to go if your not usding the mds is the lifters.

ok that I agree to I misunderstood you. Sorry for the mixup. I thought you were referring to keeping the mds that any cam other than stock would not work. So for that I apologize. Personally I would dump mds the first chance I have.

-
Back