loose steering on 65 cuda

-

stoke

Reaction score
Where should I start, to tighten loose steering on a 65 Cuda? It has power steering, 318 engine, 4 speed. It has a lot of play and is very squirrelly to drive. Thanks, Stoke

Stoke, Start with having your front end and suspension components inspected.

If front end checks out okay, then you could try adjusting the steering box about 1/2 turn at a time...... test driving car between adjustments.

When were the bushings last replaced? Pitman arm and especially the idler arm? Shocks? If you suspension has not been rebuilt in the last 10-15 years, thats your problem. Don't go monkeying around with the gearbox adjustment with sloppy beat out suspension or you will gain a whole new level of squirrely.

Idler arms on these cars were notoriously short lived.

Rear spring bushings should be replaced periodically as well, they can really mess up handling.

Have you checked the steering box bolts!! My 70 Duster would change lanes if I hit a pot hole. Put your knee against the left front tire. Have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth. If the bolts are loose the box will move. I checked at the time the front end & everything was tight. A mechanic at the local Chrysler dealership said to check the box. It was loose. If your bolts are loose don't forget to use thread sealant & torque to specs. I run super stock springs & every 3 to 4 years I rebuild my front end with all rubber parts.

I agree with all of the previous posts. A check of the steering linkage components would be a good start. Check the idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rod ends all for excessive play. Another place you can look for play is in the joint that connects the steering column to the gearbox.

I agree with C130. The idler would be the first component I'd look to. Squirrel city when they're trashed.

Where should I start, to tighten loose steering on a 65 Cuda? It has power steering, 318 engine, 4 speed. It has a lot of play and is very squirrelly to drive. Thanks, Stoke

Also, I would ask ... how loose is loose? You'll prolly have a difficult time getting one of these cars as 'tight' as a new vehicle with 'modern' R&P. IIWY, the first thing I would do is go to a reliable alignment shop and let them have a look-see. Just make sure it's a shop that can do these cars. But a bad alighnment (esp off caster/toe) will cause bad tracking that could mimick steering slop.

-
Back