Losing Interest

-
Sounds like the bigger issue is focused on the wagon and whomever is supposed to be working on it - not your interest in the hobby?

In my world, I need to see progress. If I think that the only thing on my list is having a completely finished car to drive, I'd get frustrated and lose interest. I make a punch list and post it prominently in my garage. Next to it is my immediate list to complete the next little project. When I get something done, I cross it off with a red marker and when I look at the list I can see the progress in a tangible way. Right now I'm reassembling a car from a bare shell. I try to do something on the car every day, some days it's something small, some days it's something big, but every day it's something less to get the project complete.

Also don't let someone else's idea of what a competent mechanic is dictate what you are doing. I don't mess with carbs much, but I do a lot of my own work. Do what you want to do and farm out what you don't. It's your project and you should be doing the parts that you get satisfaction from.

I know the losing interest feeling, I’ve had a 67 Belvedere in my garage nearly 5 years. Haven’t hardly touched it, collects laundry on it. My 65 Dart I put sub-frame connectors on in May. Then I did the heater core box rebuild. Still haven’t it finished that job yet. I do spend most of my free time with my nearly 4 yr old daughter, she has me wrapped around her finger.
View attachment 1715663386
She's beautiful. Just as good looking as my 4 year old 'perfect' granddaughter. She lives about an hour away, and sleepovers are frequent.

I know the losing interest feeling, I’ve had a 67 Belvedere in my garage nearly 5 years. Haven’t hardly touched it, collects laundry on it. My 65 Dart I put sub-frame connectors on in May. Then I did the heater core box rebuild. Still haven’t it finished that job yet. I do spend most of my free time with my nearly 4 yr old daughter, she has me wrapped around her finger.
View attachment 1715663386
She is precious!! When my oldest was born I put everything on halt! I had a 72 barracuda my 75 dart, and a 86 2wd ram that was gonna be my drag truck. I sold them all other than the dart. I was young and had a growing family. I never lost interest just lost the time to spend on them I always felt guilty for taking time away from my family. My kids are older now except the baby lol 14,9,5 and they all have there own things to do, with school, and games, and all that stuff so I don't feel guilty for not being there every second now. My oldest son is showing interest in cars and he wants one to start working on with me so that will be fun. But yea I know exactly what you mean it's hard to find time to work on stuff when you have those precious moments with the babies. Spend time with her the car can wait they don't grow up and move out one day!!

funny how it gets in your blood.i have nearly bought about 3 different projects over the last couple of years....but i am so glad i didn't. Almost sold my finished car a few times but still 'hangin on"

Is anybody else like me in that they are losing interest in working on their cars? I don’t know if it’s just cars are losing interest in everything as I get older. I’m not as old as a lot of you, but I’ve had some setbacks in my life and lately I haven’t even go next to car shows just to look.
I have a 65 barracuda in my garage that I’ve had for about 10 years and when I decided to get things going on this year it’s been one thing after another that’s going wrong and still haven’t got it out of the garage, but at least had it running for a bit. Had the carburetor rebuilt and put back on and it’s still doesn’t seem to be getting fuel into the heads although it’s coming to the carb.
Also I had a car, 66 station wagon that one of our members here in Florida known for his wagons, has had in his possession to work on for me and so far he hasn’t done anything to it, but he used a bunch of my parts for his other projects. He’s had the car three years now middle of January. I’m not sure if I want to try to keep going with him, cut my losses and pick the car up and work on it myself, try to find someone else to work on for me, or sell it.

unbelievable !!
Lose the duchbag, I`d sell all the cars but one (probly a wagon) get it done so u could bring it to ur home -------------jmo

I find pleasure, fun or whatever you want to call it, by just accomplishing a small thing, whatever it be, mechanical wise, body/paint, whatever..finding a small needed part be it even a bolt!!
I am old and admitted wore out, hard to get up off the floor (ground) but I know there are many people out there worse than me, so I feel lucky to still be moving and driving. So many of my friend passed away in their 50's.
Like said by others, we will eventually find beauty in car models that years ago we never looked at twice. Or even engines. IF you find no pleasure in the ride, or anything related to that car, find something else that does.
I too suggest get one car to put effort in. Good luck guy!

Thank you to all of those who have commented. I appreciate your thoughts and insight. I tried to look for the best in people even when they are having difficulties, but unfortunately this has not worked out with the guy working on my waggon

In the market for a 65 Barracuda with a nice body, if the money's right.

Just sayin'.....

I see you're a senior gentleman and I'm sure you have a lot of wisdom. and it's easy for all of us to give you advice about your situation, my opinion is really determine what is most important to you and what you would like to have that makes sense. I know it's hard to make a change away from your mechanic or storage area lol, butthings have to change to change! I would pick out the project that you are most passionate about and then eat the frog a term that means getting the big stuff done first whatever that takes. As mentioned by other members enjoying these cars are the only reason we can continue to labor on them so get her running and driving. I know it's not like us old graybacks to ask for help but I'm sure there's some a bodies only members that might be able to give you a hand. I'm in Oregon so that's kind of off the table LOL but maybe some guys in your area. Keep the faith.

I lost interest many times over the last 30+years, general bad luck, house remodel, 6yr college life (started at 31), lost both parents last 5 years, heart issues past 10 years etc
Have my 70 dart (lm23hor) bought in 78 parked in garage 1985
It just seems to me when I go into the garage I get into another zone, no cares, so relaxed. Great therapy
Often wonder if I will ever finish it-don't care Had a local body shop look at it, he more or less said that it won't be high on his priority list- might sit for six + months I ended that interview fast, it will stay in my garage
As stated above settle issues with body guy, step back, decide on one to keep then:
Go to Chrysler @ Carlisle have fun -the Mopar Bug will return.

I am not where you are yet. I am only 65, but I have noticed my interests go in cycles. Barracudas, bicycles, cowboy stuff, hunting, fishing, audio. Get down to fighting weight and choose the best, get it running, and enjoy it. Whatever that may be and what ever it costs. Time starts now. Cut any losses, forgive and forget. Sell, give away, and get rid of anything you won't use in the future. I have been finishing up projects during this time. Desoto Hemi, 67 Barracuda, 96 ACR Neon. But always remember, how precious family is and spend as much time as you can with the ones you love. See post #20. The rest is fill in. My 66 Formula S Barracuda sat for at least 10 years, I'm glad I kept it.

-
Back