Loss of oil after changing the filter

-

Danny83

Reaction score
Hello there!

I am driving a 73 Plymouth Duster. A few days ago my mate changed the oil filter while I was doing some other stuff.

He also released the "baseplate" to change the seal behind. After cleaning the whole thing he fixed a new seal and torqued the baseplate. Then he put some oil on the gasket of the oil filter and fixed the filter.

After starting the engine we have noticed, that the oil is coming out (between the filter and the baseplate). It is NOT coming out between the baseplate and the engine.

My guess: He torqued the screw nut of the baseplate a bit too hard so the baseplate is not "plain" anymore. The gasket of the oil filter can't seal anymore.

It's only leaking when the engine is cold. It stopps when its warm.

Is that possible? If yes - do you have an idea where I can get a new baseplate? Or is there a speacial name for that baseplate?

Thanks for your help and I am sorry about my English!

Greetz from Bavaria,
Danny

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I forgot to mention that I replaced the new filter and cleaned the baseplate. Then I took a another filter (new one again) and fixed it - because I thought that the gasket of the filter was broken. The baseplate was clean.

Hi Danny

I had a similar issue with my oil filter leaking. The threads on the block
had some problems and the oil filter rubber gasket was not seating
onto the plate. I had to tighten it really tight to get it to seal. The only
problem with that is you can't remove it when it's time to change
it again.

My fix was that a friend of mine gave me a 90 degree adapter.

My problem was solved.

Hi Danny,

where in Bavaria are you from?

I´d remove the filter and the plate and check again. When i assembled my new engine i found the original gasket (new one) between block and filter plate too thin....not a chance to seal. I made a new (thicker) gasket - Problem solved.

best regards

Michael

I had a similar problem, though in my case I had the oil filter on and off a couple of times before I started the engine for the first time. It drove me nuts until I noticed that the oil filter's gasket mating surface was not flat. It had become warped from being cinched down too hard. Check that, and if you can see any warpage, get a new filter. it will never seal if it's damaged like that.

Tip: You should not need an oil filter wrench to tighten the oil filter down. A good grip with two sturdy hands and a good heave on it will hold 80 lbs of oil pressure and not leak a drop. The filter wrench is for getting it off.

Thanks a lot to everyone!
I'll try the things you mentioned above and keep you informed.
It really seems to be a "simple" problem but it's driving me crazy.

@Michael: Chiemgau (near Traunstein)
Where about in Bavaria are you from?

Hi,

i´m from Main-Spessart / Unterfranken, near Würzburg. Good luck solving your problem - if you need help let me know!

Michael

-
Back