Lost my cam

-
Okay since we're trying to entertain ourselves at this point Without Really any hard facts? We can review the original post where a friend told him to take the valve cover off and see if there's movement or not? Then from there we didn't have enough additive in the oil after 3000 miles? Oh boy okay I'm tired of entertaining myself and others again we need some input from the original poster it's been over two days now.
Right, but part of this whole internet forum deal is just entertaining ourselves....so a thread spun off into left field is just fine for that LOL

To continue in that vein.... I can certainly see one lifter and lobe being more susceptible to sudden failure than others. There are enough variables to make that possible IMHO. Doesn't mean others are not on their way....

Some of yall use some $$/fancy earl and additives. I just use valvoline 15-40 diesel, got some plain ol zinc in it (or zddp if you prefer) and havent ever lost a hydraulic. $12 a gallon.
Quaker state Defy does too for those on a budget, but thats a "hi-mileage" deal so who knows what else is in the add pack.

You can find the zddp and zddb levels for may oils by simply looking up their msds or technical data sheets online.

Anyone know how big (thick) the cam wear metal might be? I'd think it would be really, really fine dust-like particles since that cam is typically cast iron.

it can vary from ultra fine powder to what would be considered big shavings depending on the severity of the damage

I just like the OP's username. If I wasn't the famous Mr Gorsky, I would've settled for the slightly less salubrious name of Dr Demon :).

Since we're all talking oil (one of the most topical forum subjects in my previous life as a twin turbo RX-7 driver), would someone kindly point me towards the best oil thread on FABO/FBBO/FEBO?

Just stepping back into the hobby and I need to decide on an oil that will suit a daily driven small block in healthy condition and of unknown mileage, in a climate that varies from 50-120 degrees.

That-a-way
I just like the OP's username. If I wasn't the famous Mr Gorsky, I would've settled for the slightly less salubrious name of Dr Demon :).

Since we're all talking oil (one of the most topical forum subjects in my previous life as a twin turbo RX-7 driver), would someone kindly point me towards the best oil thread on FABO/FBBO/FEBO?

Just stepping back into the hobby and I need to decide on an oil that will suit a daily driven small block in healthy condition and of unknown mileage, in a climate that varies from 50-120 degrees.

You really can't go wrong with a Castrol GTX multi grade.
I would run what I run here with kind of the same temps, 10-40
(Uh, another oil opinion thread) :D

-
Back